Julian Calendar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julian Calendar

Hi - If someone was born on 17th February 1872 by the Julian Calendar, any idea how that would relate to our calender?? Ditto if someone was born on 11th December 1875 by the Julian Calendar. I tried a convertor and it gave me a whole heaps of numbers which didn't make sense.

Try this converter http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/calendar/

Scroll down to the julian calendar, enter your date, click on calculate. Then scroll back up to the gregorian calendar and the converted date will be there.

Update: forgot to mention, your browser must support java script and it must not be disabled.

Comment

I have no clue, but have the dates already been converted!!!
      Karen

Comment

Hi Lynda - My comp is giving me warnings not to do it..I tried and got NAN...but that's all...frustrating as it looks like a good site..
        Hi KarenS - No, they're the original dates from the Julian calendar..just received some info from the Latvian Archives..

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
          Hi Lynda - My comp is giving me warnings not to do it..I tried and got NAN...but that's all...frustrating as it looks like a good site..
          Sorry to hear that, it worked for me. Maybe something to do with settings on your browser? I am what you might call technically challenged so can't even guess what those settings might be ... maybe some techie type will offer some suggestions.

Comment

Using that converter Feb 17th becomes feb 29th 1872, but I may not be doing it right!!!!
            Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
              Sorry to hear that, it worked for me. Maybe something to do with settings on your browser? I am what you might call technically challenged so can't even guess what those settings might be ... maybe some techie type will offer some suggestions.
              Hi - I'm also technically challenged! Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen S View Post
                Using that converter Feb 17th becomes feb 29th 1872, but I may not be doing it right!!!!
                Thanks KarenS. I think it's to do with leap years as well.... 1872 was a leap year. If it's about 12 days ahead, then I wonder if 11th December 1875 becomes our 23rd December, 1875.
                Last edited by naomiatt; 25-05-10, 05:24.

Comment

Just put the date in and you are correct. Dec 23 1875
                  Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Karen S View Post
                    Just put the date in and you are correct. Dec 23 1875
                    Thanks KarenS. Be much easier if they said in the info to add on 12 days!! I'm trying to work out if the info I've got from the archives is for the right family and I'm not sure that is! Been waiting a year for the details...it might be that my ggm used her deceased sister's name when she got to the UK. Hmmm... Mine are never easy! ;D

Comment

When the calendar was changed it was to adjust for the excess leap days which had been taken by the Julian calendar at century-ends which weren't leap-centuries (i.e. the century number wasn't divisible by four; put another way, the century number wasn't a multiple of 400). It was pushing seasons out of sync.

Britain and the British Empire (including the eastern part of what is now the United States) adopted the Gregorian calendar in 1752 by which time it was necessary to correct by 11 days. Wednesday, 2 September 1752 was followed by Thursday, 14 September 1752.
                      e.g. 2000 was a leap-century, but 1700, 1800 and 1900 were not.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The easiest method is to download the free calendar Calisto no need to convert just look and see.

Cheers
                        Guy
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Can I ask why the Julian calendar was still being used in 1872? The parish records I was looking at a couple of weeks ago changed to the Gregorian calendar in 1752.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Christine in Herts and Guy.
                            Uncle John - the info I received is from Latvian Archives and at the time they were still using the Julian calendar.

Comment

A bit of a diversion, I hope that's OK:
                              Guy, since you're around ... may I ask you to have a look at this thread:

I feel that you might have the expertise to spot whether the Registrar is being correct or not in taking what appears to be a very unhelpful stance over availability of information online. I have received a very technical law-quoting reply from him (?her).

thanks
                              Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, there is not much on the thread I can comment on.
                                I do not know what conditions were in instigated when the transcribers were given access to the registers.
                                If there were no terms and conditions then they are at liberty to ignore the registrar.
                                However if they do so then he/she could turn round and say as you are ignoring my request I will now withdraw any additional access you have to the registers.

In addition I do not know why the registrar has made the request or what dates the registers concerned cover. Is he/she concerned about breaching Data Protection Act?
                                This is probably not the case as Age at Death is mentioned and the DPA does not extend to deceased person.

If you can PM me with further details I may be able to help.
                                Cheers
                                Guy
                                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X