First visit to TNA, Kew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First visit to TNA, Kew

Hoping to get to Kew for the first time shortly.

Interested in any hints & tips, & how your first visit went down.
    Jay

Hi Jay, first of all make sure that you have all the correct ID, including photo ID to get your reader's ticket. If you're driving you will need to pre-book your parking space now and there's a charge for it too. Work out what you want to look at before you go, noting the reference numbers, and then when you get your ticket you can order these at the terminals there. Ask for a seat by the window and you can use your camera (no flash) which saves on photocopying.

There's more info on visiting here... http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/

Comment

You can only order 3 documents at a time so if you have a lot to get through in a day, order 3 then as soon as they are in your locker (you can check exactly the stage your order has reached on the computers there), order 3 more.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel, i've got ID on the top of the list, i'd be pretty gutted to go all that way & get turned away for not having the right stuff!

I've read some of the guides but it's always good to hear from people that have been before.

If my memory serves me correct you visited a while ago & looked at railway staff records, was that easy enough & did you find what you were looking for?
        Jay

Comment

Thanks Ann, have made a note of that. One thing I want to look up is my Chancery case which has several refs & no doubt will produce several more!
          Jay

Comment

Oh yes, the Chancery case - you may be there some time, then!
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I did but found the reference system at TNA confusing as it isn't very detailed. I actually managed to find a full list of the items held for the railway company I was interested in online (with help from an FTF member). There were quite a few ledgers and had to order the maximum I could, then wait for them to come up, before ordering more, like Ann says, so took some time. Some of the ledgers were very heavy (Peppie saw me struggle with some of them!), but after a tiring few visits of lugging ledgers around, I found out the info I wanted and am really pleased that I went

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                Thanks Rachel, i've got ID on the top of the list, i'd be pretty gutted to go all that way & get turned away for not having the right stuff!

I've read some of the guides but it's always good to hear from people that have been before.

If my memory serves me correct you visited a while ago & looked at railway staff records, was that easy enough & did you find what you were looking for?
                I was hunting for GWR records. I got the wrong set of refs the first time (the old set) and found I'd ordered a couple of letters adrift. It was near the end of my day, so I added it to my list for the next visit.

I did have to sign some kind of confidentiality form, in case I found myself looking at records of people who were still alive.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Rachel & Christine for your input.

I've got a few people that worked on the railways, the one I most interested in is a 3 x great grandfather ca 1840 to his death in 1864. I think he'll of worked for NER or S&D(Stockton & Darlington, & the first public passenger railway).

I'm getting quite a list of things i'd like to look at, tho I know I can't do everything in one day so need to prioritize what's the most important & achievable in one day.
                  Jay

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                    Thanks Ann, have made a note of that. One thing I want to look up is my Chancery case which has several refs & no doubt will produce several more!
                    Check whether the records you want are stored off-site (my Chancery records were) - if so, you'll have to order them 3 or 4 days in advance.

Other than that, have a list of what you want to look up, so if you don't get anywhere with one you can move on to the next - TNA can be a bit overwhelming otherwise!

Have a good day.

Comment

Have you seen this page Jay?? http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...fletID=124&j=1

Although check out those reference numbers online as you might find a full list of what's in the archive as I did with the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway...

Comment

Pre-register and pre-order documents to save time.
                        If you are waiting for documents you can visit the library (1st floor) which has lots of info arranged by county, I've found a lot by serendipity just browsing. Other things to do if you are between documents is to go online and check out 1911 census for free.
                        Don't be scared about asking for help - people are very friendly.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell - you can't pre-register anymore and can only order docs once you have the readers ticket... unfortunately :(

Comment

Oh, my apologies. You live and learn. That seems a bit of a backward step!
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It is indeed!! :D

Comment

Go and register and order some docs then pop back downstairs for a lovely breakfast and the shop....

Comment

Shame you can't pre register, that would increase research time!

Made a note about breakfast! & the library.

Have bookmarked that guide Rachel, thanks.
                                  Jay

Comment

Wish me luck folks, going to Kew w/c 7th June
                                    Jay

Comment

Have a great time! i'm hoping to make my maiden visit soon so will be interested to hear how you get on.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Enjoy your visit! I'm planning to be there on 4 Jun.

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X