Researching a mariner 1830's - 1855

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching a mariner 1830's - 1855

Can anyone offer any advice on reasearching a mariner's career 1830's - 1855 & if anyone has researched one of their own how do they get on.

John Kell(e)y was born in Scarborough, Yorkshire about 1814. Was listed at a mariner or master mariner on his marriage & children births & the 1841 census. He's not with his family on the 51 census & died in Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital in Greenwich in 1855 (awaiting cert).

Thanks
    Jay

Your man might just creep into the Lloyds Captains Registers http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capintro.htm
    My man of similar vintage was also mentioned in the London Gazette.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ, can't see him in those indexes, but then i've just spotted Lloyds in indexed from 1869 then backtracked to 1851 if they were still sailing in 1869. Looks like a manual search of those records will be needed.
      Jay

Comment

I've only looked for my master mariners for later periods although I did look at some ships' logs at Kew for someone else - quite amazing to actually handle the documents. This link gives some useful information for the period you're looking at

This site has loads of mariner links

Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie will check those out.
          Jay

Comment

The Corporation of Trinity House, based in Deptford, might also have some information on mariners. Now they only look after Lighthouses, but they used to look after mariners welfare and pilotage and run almshouses for retired mariners and lots of other things.

Diane
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Our Maritime History page includes links to Trinity and where to find their records.

There are also several other links which may be worth your while to explore.

Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Admiralty (ADM) records held at TNA will be the ones you want. They will list the vessels etc that he served on along with career details. Phoenix looked up one of my lot and came up with a heap of info for me.

Musterbook
                25 Entry 9 Dec 1833 Appearance 9 Dec Born Marylebone, London age 24 [from] Rattlesnake Nov 1833 Geo Hay CM Top Vi Wr 5 Dec 1834
                Slops including beds & waxed wrappers £5 16s 3d Tobacco 6s 4d Soap 2s 8d monthly allowances £14 19s 0d Two months in advance £3 12s 0d
                Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 25-05-10, 14:35.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yes, I have found many interesting Royal Navy at TNA from about 1750 onwards but Royal Navy records are different to Mariners and Master Mariners who tend to be non naval sea going people attached to the more commercial side of seafaring . Some of these mariners do exist at TNA but only about 10%. If you are talking RN then the records are fantastic, giving musters and ships and many other details as I found one at the Royal Hospital Greenwich in 1841 detailing his father's ships as well.

PS I would also like to add that The Royal Hospital Greenwich was a school. I had one who attended and gained all the relevant papers from TNA. The heading of one of these papers is:

Qualifications for the Upper School of the Royal Hospital Greenwich

It talks about the school comprising two classes of candidates:

"1st- One hundred sons of Commissioned and Ward Room Warrant Officers of the Royal Navy and Marines.

2nd-Three hundred sons of officers of the above or inferior rank, and of Private seamen and marines, who have served, or are serving, in the Royal Navy; and of officers or seamen of the Merchant Service."

"Every candidate had to be 11 and not exceed 12, free from any impediment of speech, fluently read regarding the bible and know the first four rules of arithmetic. The education in the school is confined to Mathematics and Navigation with a proper regard to Religious Instruction".

After 1873 the Royal Hospital at Greenwich ceased to be a school and became Greenwich Royal Naval College.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 26-05-10, 09:44.

Comment

Hi Jay
                    I've searched the Trinity House Petitions indexes for John Kelly (and variations of surname) of Scarborough but there's absolutely nothing there listed ,orry to say.

Comment

Thanks all for your input.

Janet re the Greenwich hospital, Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital was an ex naval ship moored at Greenwich until it transferred to land in 1870. But reading what I read again until 1870 it was name the Seaman's Infirmary hospital ship.
                      Jay

Comment

Just a shot in the dark. There were loads of Seamen's Missions around the London docklands area (and there still are one or two). I wonder if any of them kept lists of names.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Jay

Clearly the Greenwich Hospital is different to the Dreadnought's Seaman's Hospital Greenwich. But yes as UJ has said there were many Seamans Missions around Greenwich and other seafaring areas. However, ex Navy you should still find his papers at TNA Kew.

Janet

Comment

Received the death cert today & he did die at Dreadnought's Seaman's Hospital. The National Maritime Museum have the admission registers so hope to get there when I visit London. Think I need to visit NMM first as the register should state the last ship he served on so i'm guessing having that should help at Kew.

His occupation on the cert is listed as seaman merchant service.
                            Jay

Comment

Got to the National Maritime Museum last week & viewed the Dreadnought Hospital ship records. This info lead me to the last ship he was on & at Kew found him on the crew lists. Ran out of time but have another ship to check & have managed to plot some of his career so far.
                              Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X