East End 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East End 1901

Hi –Trying to find where Rosa/e and Aaron Rabinovitch were living in 1901.
    They married in the East End of London in June, 1898. The address then was
    35 Lansdale or Langsdale Street or Lansdale/Langsdale Mansions, Commercial Road. By 1911, they were living at 99 Morgan House, Hessell Street, Commercial Road. Two children should show for
    1901, Jack/Jacob born c.1899 and Miriam, born Dec, 1900. They could have been living with other
    family or lodging….I have a photo of their wedding day, but have no idea who the others are. Could be brothers of Rosa or Aaron, nephew and niece of either, and what looks like the matriarch.
    Another pickle is the spelling of the surname..it can show with two b’s, have vowel changes, and
    end in itch, vitch, witch, itz etc etc.

There is an Aaron and Rosa Rabinovitch living in Lincolnshire, with a daughter Ethel M born 1900
    G13; Piece: 3094; Folio: 132; Page: 4.

Can't see anything at the moment in London, although with a name like that it could be mistranscribed!!

If that's not the right one, do you know where Aaron, Rosa, Jacob and Miriam were born?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine - thanks for that. I don't think it's them. The children at that time were born in Mile End - Stepney according to the 1911. Further children were born in St Geo.East Aaron and Rosa came from 'Russia'...well, Latvia and probably Poland, but at the time, it would probably say Russia or Poland. The problem I've faced is there was also an Aaron and Rosa in the north of England, but they're a different family.
      Last edited by naomiatt; 24-05-10, 08:12.

Comment

Not having any luck at all Naomi. Have searched using a combination of names, using wildcards etc. - nothing showing!
        Elaine

Comment

no luck either sorry Naomi might try again later

Comment

Hi Elaine and Val - thanks again. Frustrating one. Another idea - can you see anything for an Aaron and Gita/Dreisa or, for Davidovitch or Davidoff..
            same sort of thing, lots of variants for the spellings. I wonder if they were transcribed under Rosa's maiden name or under the christian name of one of her possible sisters.

Comment

23 Stutfiled St St George in The East, London

David Davidovitz c. 1876 born Russia Tailor
              Rosa Davidovitz c. 1877 born Russia
              Jacob Davidovitz c. 1899 born London,
              Mary Davidovitz c. 1900 born London,

mm

Comment

Thanks mm - could well be them. Aaron was a tailor. Rosa might also have had a brother called Abraham David Davidovitz born around 1873 and Aaron had a brother as well. Problem is, I only know his Hebrew name which was Menachem Mendel. That can be anglicised to Morris, Max, Marks..anything with a M really..
                although Aaron's Hebrew name was Raphel Ariyeh...so it might not be a M! Family do recall a David...I only know that he was well dressed!
                Last edited by naomiatt; 24-05-10, 22:02.

Comment

Forgot to say - can anyone see an Abraham David Davidovitch...vitz, wich, itch etc etc, born n around 1873...may be married or single..

Comment

found this Russian family on langdel st St George in The East, London 1901

Bela Rabinovitz c. 1851 Head
                    Golde Rabinovitz c. 1879 Daughter
                    Chilly Rabinovitz c. 1881 Daughter
                    Morris Rabinovitz c. 1883 Son
                    Abraham Rabinovitz c. 1885 Son

Class:*RG13; Piece:*311; Folio:*94; Page:*54.

here is 35 langdel st in 1901 no familiar names

RG13; Piece:*311; Folio:*113; Page:*27.

no luck with AD

the nearest

Hyman Davidowitz c. 1873 Foreign Subject Russian, Hull Holy Trinity, Yorkshire

Sam Davidowitz c. 1875 Russia Visitor St George in The East, London

mm

Comment

Thanks for looking mm - I'll look in to them a bit more......

Comment

Hi - found a bit more info, Rosa's mother was Glika/e Davidowitsch also spelt as Davidowitz etc, poss even Davidoff.
                        She was born in 1852 and was widowed in 1880. In a photo I have from Rosa's wedding day in 1898, the lady behind her looks like her mother - this was in the East End of London.
                        Wallaby made the photo look better for me and she also thinks it's Rosa's mother. Happy to forward the photo to see what you think. Can anybody see anything for a female D that could fit?? It could be that Glika anglicised her name...or anything for a Glika/e..Gita maybe..with a different surname..that could fit if she had re-married. In the photo, the man next to her looks too young to be her husband..and he looks like the father of two children seated on the floor..they look about 7 and 10ish.
                        Last edited by naomiatt; 05-06-10, 00:58.

Comment

Hi - can anyone see a Glika or Glike or poss Gita in1901? (surname ending in a D?)

Comment

Working...
                          X