Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah Bate

Hi,

I'm looking for information on my ancester Sarah Adams who in the 1851 and 1861 census returns in Rowley Regis, what is now West Midlands, was recorded a being born in Manchester 1786/7.

The only record I can find of a Thomas Adams marrying a Sarah was in 1811 where he married a Sarah Bate.

Also living a few doors away on census was a Samuel Bate who was registered being born in Salford in 1796. This may have been her brother perhaps.

Any information anyone can throw some light on, I would appreciate it. Maybe this could come from appropriate Parish Registers.

Regards Jeff

this looks to be Sarah in 1841

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 997; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Rowley Regis; County: Staffordshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 13; Page: 18; Line: 17; GSU roll: 474625.

Thomas Adams 54
    Sarah Adams 55
    Joseph Adams 23
    Samuel Adams 19
    Thomas Adams 14
    William Adams 12
    Hannah Adams 51
    Sarah Hazlewood 5
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

Thanks for this.
      Yes it's my Sarah, who for some reason gives her birthplace on this census as Rowley Regis.
      On 1851 and 61 it's Manchester.

Really drawing a blank on finding her in Manchester and more info on her marriage to Thomas. Need to see the actual record in Parish Register.

Regards Jeff

Comment

Hannah Adams (Thomas' sister or sister in law may be?) and the child Hazlewood are people to perhaps follow up too. Wouldnt worry too much about the change in place of birth, often does change, especially if its near a large city or town or people just assume you were born where you are living. IF the marriage in 1811 is the correct one, then there is some time before the birth of the eldest child shown in 1841 - Joseph aged 23. You could be looking for earlier births and baptisms which just may be of some help.

NB I just had a squint at the 1841 and I should point out, it doesnt say she was born Rowley Regis, only that was the parish where they were living at that time. (The 1841 doesnt give places of birth, just whether born in same county) Also, next door is the Sam Bate bloke, who has the same job as Tom Adams and a few doors back is Charles Bate, a forge man.

There is a tree on ancestry with these people, giving Sarah's parents as John Bate and Sarah unknown. It says your Sarah was born in Halesowen (but no proof given) and that she died in Halesowen Street, Blackheath, Rowley Regis. There are the following children of Sarah and Tom Adams listed before the Joseph shown on the 1841. The eldest child's birth year would point to the 1811 marriage being the correct one.

Mary Adams (Mary marries William Hazlewood in Dudley 17.7.1831 and so the kiddie with the Adams in 1841 is hers)
        1812 –

Hannah Adams (living with them in the 1841)
        1814 –

John Adams
        1816 –

Sarah Bates siblings are listed as:

Nancy Bate
        1778 –

Mary Bate
        1781 –

John Bate
        1783 –
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 03-02-11, 22:05.

Comment

Sorry I should have replied so others can see!!
          Heather,

That's great thank you.

Thomas did have a sister Hannah but I suspect she was born 1800 according to an entry in Family Search. The Hannah on census seems to have been born 1790/1 in Leicestershire, so your sister in-law theory could hold some water.

Your right about earlier births. Mary 1812, Sarah Hazelwood's mother. I've traced Sarah through to her death in Lye. She married Eli Bingham in 1859

I descend from John Adams,1816 and his daughter Hannah Adams, 1848 and her son, my grandfather, Alfred Fletcher, 1877

I think the Manchester connection is strong, as you point out out, there is Samuel Bate close by who was born in Salford, the Manchester one I presume.
          I wonder what the original parish record will tell me?

Regards Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X