Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Whatever happened to baby Ethel?"

”Whatever happened to baby Ethel?”
    I am trying to find ETHEL COOK(E) born11 Jul 1886 at Kent Lane, Church Coppenhall, Cheshire
    Birth certificate does not give a father.
    Mother was LOUISA JANE COOK. She was born in 1867 in Montreal, Canada according to the GRO Regimental Indices as was her brother Charles born 1871 in Quebec Canada.
    Assuming ETHEL is illegitimate I am trying to find her on the 1891 census as a 4 year old. Her mother, Louisa, married John Whittingham in Sep 1889 and they went on to have several children.
    So it looks as though Ethel was not with her mother.
    Her Grndparents were CHARLES COOK (1842 Cheshire) and ELIZABETH MARTYN (1840 Truro Cornwall). CHARLES Snr. was in the KRRC and he an ELIZABETH went to Canada where their two children were born.
    Both parents and LOUISA are on the 1871 Canadian census
    LOUISA JANE born 1867 Montreal Canada and CHARLES R 1871 Quebec 1871 from the GRO Regimental Indices.
    The regiment returned to the UK in 1877 so the Grandparents should be on the 1881 census. But then I discovered that they went from Aldershot in 1880 to Ireland.
    Louisa aged 14 is a servant on the 1881 (RG11 3494 126 4) to a family in Macclesfield.
    CHARLES R aged 9 1881(RG11 3539 81 44) census is living with his aunt JANE GARNER and her husband Transcribed as Farmer on the census.
    So it looks as though their parents died or went to Ireland in 1880. In neither case could they help with baby ETHEL.
    ETHEL is on the 1891 (RG13 3358 98 1) census as visiting a Mary Cross and family aged 14.

I am trying every possible forum to see if someone can help. I have ETHEL born 1886 and marrying Herbert Price in 1909.
    I apologise if this is a bit disjointed but the text keeps jumping!

Men from all regiments spent regular short periods of time (about 6 months) at the Curragh Camp in Ireland. It was a purpose-built training camp, constructed after the Crimean War.
    So, it's possible Ellen's grandparents were there for a short time only.
    As Ireland was part of the United Kingdom, there were other additional postings there, but these were for normal duties, rather than for training purposes and possibly the postings were for longer than 6 months.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Janet. I doubt Grandparents would have taken a Grandaughter with them? I think I may never know where she was as very small child!

Comment

If they went to Ireland in 1880, surely that's 6/7 years before their grand-daughter was born????

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-05-10, 17:42.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Oh dear! Of course you are absolutly right. Someone put it in my head that the Grandparents might have taken her in. But if they were still in the army it looks unlikely. Back to the drawing board!

Comment

But just because the grandparents went to Ireland in 1880 and were missing for censuses doesn't mean they weren't back in England for all or part of the period between the censuses so don't rule out the scenario of them being here when she was born and then taking her in so her unmarried mother could earn a living.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hello,
              Thanks for that but where are they on the 1891? If anyoNe can find them I would be eternally grateful!

Comment

If Grandpa Charles was still in the Army, he could well have been serving abroad, in which case they would not appear.

Comment

Would Grandpa Charles still be in the army in 1891? He would have been at least 49, if 1842 was his correct year of birth?
                  Cook lends itself to many variations - Cooke, Coke, Cock, Cork, Corke for starters - and Cheshire for place of birth is rather vague.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    Would Grandpa Charles still be in the army in 1891? He would have been at least 49, if 1842 was his correct year of birth?
                    It would depend on his role. He might have been getting on a bit for combat duties, but there's a lot more to the Army than that. He could have been involved in training, or admin or support duties, transport, catering .... there would be many such posts filled by experienced men of mature years.

Comment

Apologies! I have his birth in 1842. At least his baptism at St Michaels Church Coppenhall. The whole family seem to revolve around the Coppenhalls.
                      I have googled hoping to find a potted history of the area without sucess. Does anyone have access to the parish records or books, leaflets etc. for Coppenhall, Church or Monks? Grasping at straws now. Going to have another go at the 1891 census now,

Comment

some info here

mm

Comment

Sounds like your best bet is a cheque (voluntary contribution towards church funds) request, & sae to either the incumbent or churchwarden.
                          Be aware that churches are advised to charge a fee for conducting a search of the registers they hold. I think the recommendation is about £20 for first hour or part thereof. (I have always sent a donation with my request.)

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think this will have to be my latest brick wall! It will go on the back burner until new inspiration comes my way. Thank you all for trying to help,

Comment

Working...
                            X