Brickmaker Uttoxeter Road Rowditch Derby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickmaker Uttoxeter Road Rowditch Derby

I found this in the 1841 Census for my ancestor Joseph Harpur, who was baptised 31 May 1779: that he was a brick maker at Uttoxeter Road. In the registration of his daughters marriage to her second husband, he is discribed as being of Rowditch Derbyshire.
    I then discoverd that he was mentioned as a Freeholder. He died aug 1853 and was wealthy because there was a sale by auction of various houses and parcels of land.
    The I found that there was a Rowditch farm which was built in the 18th century but was gradually taken over by a junior branch of the Harpur family for brick making.
    Question:
    Is there any photo of said building? Are there any copies of newspapers/documents etc? Is the Harpur family known in Rowditch?
    I think Joseph Harpur's father was Thomas. His wife was Hannah, but I do not know her last name.
    Any help would be great.

i remember the brickyard.
    well thats what we called it when we were kids.

have you seen this link it mentions the harpurs.

Photographs of Rowditch, California and Kingsway in Derbyshire by andy Savage. This is THE site to visit if you want to see stunning photographs of the centre of England.
    the meercat.

Comment

Hi
      at the top of the old road there is a works but i do not think it is the origninal building i think it may have been demolished
      aboutmyplace.co.uk shows where i mean. Or you could try getting in touch with the Derby Telegraph they might have info on it

Laura

Comment

There are various articles about the farm and a few death notices for the family in the Derby Mercury. You may be able to join Lancashire Libraries - you don't need to live in Lancashire!- to access the 19th century newspapers database.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

you had to go down a drive to the brickyard before you could see it.there were two entrances one on uttoxeter new road and one on slack lane.
          it was a popular place for courting couples.
          the meercat.

Comment

Working...
          X