Removal of Data from CheshireBMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of Data from CheshireBMD

This message was posted on British-Jewry on 15 May, and I have permission to pass it on (I have removed surnames, and replaced them with "{}"):

As many of you already know I am a great supporter of the UKBMD sites, having transcribed for both CHS and LAN, plus done other work for YKS. Some of you may be aware that CHS has recently reorganised their registration districts and this week Bob {} (whose permission I have to forward his email) has been alerted that one of the registrars wishes for some information to be removed from the CHS BMD website.

I urge all list members to follow Bob's advice and email the registrar concerned and also, if a UK resident to send your local MP a copy. Hopefully if enough of us rally and MPs become involved the registrar in question will be forced to rethink his decision. I have emailed the same message to both the email addresses given below and am happy to share (privately) my email for anyone who might want a model-but mine is VERY forceful and does NOT mince words so be warned :-)

Thanks for your anticipated support at keeping our records in the public domain.
    Sherry {}
    "Bob's" message:
    Basically the Registrar responsible for the New administrative area of East Cheshire (formerly Macclesfield) has asked that ALL the Maiden Names and Ages at Death be removed from the CheshireBMD web site for those areas for which he has now taken over. This data has been collated by a team of volunteers working in the Register Office who have been able to check it against the original registers.

It is a worrying precedent that this Registrar is trying to establish. Much of the information is already in the Public Domain and published by the General Records Office in their indexes. In the case of deaths, the age at death is given post March 1866 and for Births the maiden names appears post September 1911. However he has asked that ALL this data be removed thus reducing the usefulness of the CheshireBMD index and there is always the possibility that other Registrars might follow his lead.

Can I suggest that anyone who feels sufficiently strong over this matter or would like to add wait to our argument, emails the Register Offices in question and complains over the removal of this data. If they get sufficient complaints they might just change their minds. If you know the address of your local Cheshire councillor it might help to drop them a line also.

The two email addresses are:

CREWEREGISTEROFFICE@cheshireeast.gov.uk

MacclesfieldRegisterOffice@cheshire.gov.uk

Thanks for your support.

Bob {}
    Dukinfield
    Cheshire
    A later post refers to the British-Genealogy forum, where it's suggested that the East Cheshire Registrar is seeking to bring the info displayed into line with those of Central Cheshire - but it still seems retrograde, and careless of the work done by the volunteers.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Thankyou for this alert, Christine.

I use Cheshirebmd quite a lot so I am dismayed that anyone, let alone the Registrar, is seeking to reduce the amount of useful information contained on the UKbmd sites. I am not clear why he is asking for this change....

OC

Comment

Thanks for posting this Christine, I will certainly send an email.

Having only in the past year knocked down a brickwall into Cheshire pre 1860 the age at death have helped to identify the correct people, without them it wouldn't off been as easy.

I was hoping that once somemore of the indexes had been replaced to include MMN's I could ties up a few bits & pieces that aren't straightforward, this may not be the case anymore!
      Jay

Comment

That's that done, lets hope when they log-in in the morning they have a very large number of emails!
        Jay

Comment

Working...
        X