Born in Surrey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born in Surrey?

Caroline Tinkler married Richard Stringer 26 May 1845 in Southwark London. They then had 12 children:

Caroline 1847; Richard 1848; Sarah 1849; Mary 1851; Elizabeth 1850; Lon or Lou (female, perhaps Louise) 1852; Thomas 1854; Henry 1855; Charles 1857; Harriett 1859; John 1860; and George 1870.

Caroline is stated to have been born in Surrey, all the rest were born in Lambeth, Surrey, except Harriett and John who were born in Paddington, Middx.

I have found them all in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census, but can anyone find any birth registrations that match up for them. In 1851 and 1871 they were living in Lambeth and in 1861 they were in Paddington, which ties up with what they said for the births.

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Found George - 1 down 11 to go

Linda
    Linda

Comment

There are three baptisms on Ancestry which may be this family. Have you looked at them?

Louisa Mary Ann Stringer baptised 16 Feb 1851 St Mark, Notting Hill

Thomas John Stringer baptised 1 Aug 1852 St Mark, Notting Hill

Father a smith/whitesmith and living at Ingleboro St. on these two.

George Albert Edward Stringer baptised 19 Sep 1877 All Saints, South Lambeth
      father a whitesmith and living 25 Charles St on this one.
      Last edited by WendyPusey; 20-05-10, 16:36.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy, I always forget to look at that file - The names and occupation certainly match up - is Nottinghill anywhere near Lambeth (I don't know London that well). I wonder whether Louisa and Mary are the same person as the dates coincide and they were never both on the same census.

I just checked on the IGI and found 6 of them on there, all christened at the same church, including Louisa and Thomas. Strange only 2 on Ancestry. It's extracted so should be correct.

That now only leaves Charles, Harriett, John and Sarah unaccounted for!

Thanks Wendy.

Linda
        Linda

Comment

Still can't work out why I can't see anything on BMD registers for them - any suggestions?

Linda
          Linda

Comment

I believe birth registration wasn't compulsory until 1875 so maybe they just weren't registered.

Jane

Comment

That could explain it then. Thanks Jane
              Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                Thanks Wendy, I always forget to look at that file - The names and occupation certainly match up - is Nottinghill anywhere near Lambeth (I don't know London that well). I wonder whether Louisa and Mary are the same person as the dates coincide and they were never both on the same census.
                Not really! Notting Hill is north of the river Thames, about a couple of miles west of Oxford Street. Lambeth is on the south bank of the river and about 4-5 miles from Notting Hill.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think Ancestry have messed up with this. The source citation for Louisa and Thomas clearly says Saint Mark, Kennington which is definitely south of the river. However they've attributed that register to St Mark, Notting Hill, Kensington and Chelsea. Not quite sure how to notify Ancestry that the whole register is recorded incorrectly
                  Jackie

Comment

Just be thankful they've got the correct city and country!
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

No wonder I'm going in circles with this lot then!
                      Linda

Comment

Working...
                      X