Annan Cemetery - Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemetery: Annan Cemetery - Scotland

I am researching my paternal grandmother's family, and have discovered that her parents, Robert Hunter Skilling and Janet Rae Skilling are buried in Annan Cemetery. As it will be much later in the year when I can visit Scotland, if anyone is visiting Annan Cemetery, and would take a photograph of the gravestone and email it to me, I would be very appreciative.
    Last edited by Caroline; 20-05-10, 13:53.

There's more than one cemetery in Annan. What date of death have you please? Do you have a lair number that would help?

Comment

Hi. Thank you for replying. Benjamin Hunter Skilling died 4th March 1914 in Dornock, Dumfriesshire. and Janet Rae Skilling died 18th December 1934 in Fife. I believe that there is also a memorial on the stone to their son Robert Skilling who died in WW1 action on 28th October 1914.

Comment

Benjamin Hunter Skilling? Your first post said Robert H S. There is a cemetery at Dornock, are you sure they are not in there?

If you email the council on DGFirst-aande@dumgal.gov.uk and give them the names and dates and where you think they are buried, they will give you the lair number and hopefully a map. If you are not 100% sure of where they are, they are usually willing to check the cemeteries nearest as well.

PM me the info they send you and I'll go take the pic.

Comment

Hello
          I have been told that the appropriate lair is Section Compartment H Lair 44 (1,2 &3)
          Thanks in advance

Comment

If it's not persisting down, I'll take a run over on Thursday for you. Is it Dornock I'm going to or one of the two Annan cemeteries as previously thought?

Comment

I am sure it will be one of the Annan Cemeteries. Benjamin Hunter Skilling died at Dornock, but I am sure he is buried at Annan. Janet Rae Skilling died in Fife, but is I am sure buried at Annan. Both names appear on the stone. Thanks again in advance.

Comment

There's some good news and some bad I'm afraid.

Good news is that I went this morning as the forecast for tomorrow is much worse. I managed to get pictures of the stone and it wasn't raining too hard LOL, ironically it's lovely this evening!

The bad news is that the vitals bits of information on the stone are covered in very hard lichen so the pics will not be much help to you. The lichen is not the soft greeny/grey type that is easy to brush off. You will need to consult the net to find out how best to clean the stone (soft sandstone) and bring the materials with you if you can.

There is no separate WW1 soldier's stone for Robert as he is in the same grave as his parents. The local British Legion (I presume) have placed a small wooden cross at the foot of the stone which will have a poppy placed there annually. I hope it shows up on the photos.

From the words I could make out, Janet died in Cupar in Fife as you thought. Robert was in the Scots Guards and died somehere in the area around Ypres, the placename was obscured by the lichen. There is also an inscription near the bottom of the stone for a Benjamin and Janet's granddaughter who died in 1907. I think her name was Janet Ada Vickers Skilling but again the lichen was getting in the way.

PM me your email address and I'll get the photos sent to you either later tonight or first thing tomorrow. I've been at work since midday and still am, plus I'm out this evening.

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the trouble that you did to go to Annan and take the photograph. I will do as you say and see if there is someway that the stone can be cleaned when I next come up to Scotland. I will try on the net, but I will also ask a local stonemason for ides. My email address is :- g.wynniatt@btinternet.com. Again many thanks
                  Regards.

Comment

Did the photos get to you ok?

Comment

Working...
                    X