Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickhills family

Hi all
    I'm an Aussie tracing my family roots in Yorkshire, Lancaster and London. The family name is Pickhills, of which I am the final living member. I have a pretty comprehensive lineage from my GG Grandparents down to myself. Past there, it is currently a bit vague, though I do have a list of loose threads that I need to try to tie in to the tree, going back to 1699 My gG grandparents are Rickinson Pickhills, born abt 1815, and died around 1842, and Elizabeth Appleyard born abt 1822 in Clayton, and died in 1906 at Tooting Bec Asylum of 'senile decay'. They had 11 children, of which 4 died in infancy, one who was in the navy and died in Bengal, three moved out here and got married, one visited here and was killed in an accident, and two daughters who married in England - Priscilla married a William Wallace Pratt in Liverpool, and Catherine married a Yurgen Knoop, at West Derby in Lancashire. I have a huge amount of info on the family in Australia, though would appreciate any help I can get on the loose threads of the family. With the huge amount of info available in England, it can get very confusing. I will post the names I am trying to get info on in the next day or so. The name itself is very much unique, which has made most searching fairly easy, as to date, all Pickhills are related. The name can be found missing the 's' on occasion, and there is the occasional blip where the name 'Pickles' has been used, as in the 1841 census of England. I also have details posted on the British Surnames site (they didn't have our family name listed), and I'm hoping that by using several forums, sooner or later I may fluke some info. Thanks for any help, and it's great to be here.
    Tim

Hi Tim and welcome to FTF.

I've found a baptism for a Rickinson Pickles on the IGI which may be of interest.

08 DEC 1811 Bradford, Yorkshire, England

Father Joseph Pickles - no mother named.

Jane

Comment

Hi Jane & Thanks
      I did know about the IGI baptism, and trying to track down a birth date that sort of matches it. Rickinson is one of those bothersome relatives - I get the feeling he was a bit of a scamp. His age in the 1841 census is 27, by the 1851 census he is 39, and by the 1861 census he is 46. I'm aware that there can be a lot of reasons for this - they just don't know, or don't trust giving personal info to the government, but it is a really weird discrepancy, and doesn't help with tracking (along with the possible incorrect translation of his name). IGI sort of worry me a bit, as they have given me one bum steer already - they sent me a marriage record for a Jabez Pickhills - and being suspicious of a Christian name that just wasn't 'Pickhills' ie a bit foreign sounding for the family, I checked with the family history collector for his spouse, and found that he actually was a Pickles. This has now got me worried about the other records I have from them, though most do sound legit. It is probable that his father was Joseph, and I sort of suspect that his mother's name is Grace. it is a matter of working out if loose ties I have are brothers, sisters, cousins or grandparents etc. Tim

Comment

Death registration for Rickinson PICKLES Jun qtr 1862 Liverpool Reg Dist

Note 62, not 42??

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Marriage reg march qtr 1840 Halifax Reg Dist
          Rickinson Pickhills & Elizabeth Appleyard

If you buy the marriage certificate, it will, hopefully, give you the names & occupations of the fathers.
          (That would help in tracking baptisms, which is what you'll have to work with pre 1837, when civil registration was introduced)

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I would be sure that Pickhills is/was a corruption of the more common name Pickles. I wouldn't think there were too many Rickinson Anybody, let alone Pickles/Pickhills, so I would think you have found your man.

Jabez is a biblical name and North country people did so love biblical names, so I wouldn't consider that "foreign" to your family at all.

However, best advice is Janet's - get the marriage cert which will tell you his father's name.

OC

Comment

Hi Jay
              Thanks - that sound highly likely. The family lived in Liverpool at that time, and I know he died before 1864, as Elizabeth as a widow immigrated to Australia. I think I am going to have to buy the certificates for what I suspect are his birth and death dates, and see if it ties in with other info. Fortunately, Rickinson is an odd name. Certificates through the GRO in England are VERY cheap compared to here, and i received another batch yesterday - a few more holes filled in. Thanks
              Tim

Comment

Hi again Jay
                I have the marriage certificate - I've bought all the certificates from Free BMD pertaining to the family. It tells me that William Appleyard was Elizabeths father, and Joseph was Rickinson's father, which has led me to an IGI record that has a Grace Pickhills being born in 1819, with parents Joseph & Grace. I'm sort of hedging my bets that this may be his parents - and i think I have tracked his brother & sister down - I'll be posting my loose thread info shortly. Thanks for your trouble.
                Tim

Comment

Hi OC
                  You're right about Rickinson - it is a very unusual name, and many years ago when I first started the hunt, I was thrown off the scent by being told it was a surname, not a Christian name. Turned out to be a common family Christian name. My great Uncle had it - George Rickinson Swan, as did my Grandfather Frederick Rickinson.
                  Thanks for the North Country info - the name sounded Spanish to me, which fortunately made me check the record and find the original record was Pickles, not Pickhills as had been transcribed by IGI. Another family member has the middle name of Moorson - another odd name to my thinking. Thanks for info
                  Tim

Comment

Pickhills Loose Threads

Hi everyone, and thanks for your help.
                    These are the family loose threads. I am posting them in the hope that fresh eyes may find connections that I have missed, due to staring at the records day in and day out. A lot of these go back from 1837, so I'm probably going to have to do some hard yakka to find the info, and connect the dots.
                    Other derivations of the name I have encountered along the way are Pykal (translated as Pickhill in a probate document from the 1400s, obtained from The Original Record), and Pykehall and Pykehale in the Yorkshire Inquisitions, and the Petty Bag records. Long shots I know, but interesting how names are translated.

William Pickhill baptised 27/10/1812 in Finghall, Yorkshire N. Riding. The son of Robert & Elizabeth (from Find My Past)

Anne Pickhill baptised 18/6/1814 in Finghall, Yorkshire N. Riding. Daughter of Robert & Elizabeth (from Find My Past)
                    CLEVELAND FHS has been emailed about these, as well as a war memorial inscription from North Yorkshire in the name of Pickhill.

William Pickhill (30 yo and from Elsewhere) married Hannah Rowland (22 yo and of the Parish) in 1785 at Boothby, Lincoln (from Find My Past)

Mary Pickhill buried 4/5/1823 at Leek in Staffordshire (from Find My Past)

Henry Pickhill buried 18/9/1823 at Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire (from Find My Past)

Thomas Pickhills born 1855 and was an Unassisted Immigrant to NSW, Australia in July 1880, on the "Liguria" from Liverpool. He was a Baggage Master and Storekeeper on the ship (one of the crew). he has disappeard into oblivion - there are no further records of him here. He is possibly another of Rickinson's brothers, as he is not one of the children.

Thomas Pickhills born around 1765, and married to an Ann Morritt on the 23 August 1786 at Whitkirk in Yorkshire. I have some assize documents for him as well, for stealing a silver tankard when he was a youngster. I also have a listing of Ann Morrit's parents and siblings from Genes Reunited, but have been unable to find any further info on Thomas. (from IGI & National Archives).

Elizabeth Pickhills, daughter of Thomas and Ann, born 1788, and baptised 13/1/1788at Whitkirk, Yorkshire.

Mary Pickhills, daughter Thomas and Ann, born 1789, baptised 9/4/1789 at Whitkirk, Yorkshire

Thomas Pickhills, son of Thomas & Ann, born 1804, and baptised 2/12/1804 at Witkirk, Yorkshire
                    Whitkirk seems to be a common thread, as is Thomas Pickhills & Ann.

Clementi Pickhills, mentioned in the 1841 census in Calverley, Bradford, Yorkshire, but not at her own home when the census was held - could have been at her maternal grandparents house (their names are Sarah & Michael Bentley) (from Find My Past)

Priscilla Pickhills, who appears in the 1841 census at Gibbet Lane in Halifax, Yorkshire, and was born around 1811 - possibly Rickinson's sister (from Origins Network)

James Pickhills, who appears in the 1841 census at Gibbet Lane in Halifax, Yorkshire and was born around 1806 - possibly Rickinson's brother
                    Another possibilty is that they are a couple, and it is Rickinson's brother and his wife (from Origins Network)

Margaret Pickhills, buried in St Nicholas, Newcastle, Northumberland on 21/11/1699 (from Find My past)

John Pickhills, the aboves brother who was mentioned as her closest relative in her burial record

John Pickhills (father Joseph, no mother mentioned) who was baptised on 8/6/1718 at Carleton-In-Craven, Yorkshire (from IGI)

Elizabeth Pickhills (father John, no mother mentioned) christened 30/9/1768 at Silsden, Yorkshire (from IGI)

Grace Pickhills (father Joseph, mother Grace) christened 24/1/1819 at Kildwick, Yorkshire. I suspect this is Rickinson's parents (from IGI)

Mary Pickhills (father Joseph, mother Sarah) christened 9/4/1826 at Kildwick, Yorkshire.
                    Possibly the last two are the same father, different mothers. Could also be Rickinson's sister (from IGI)

Mary Anne Pickhills (father David, mother Martha) christened 18/4/1824 at Kildwick, Yorkshire (from IGI)

Any conjecture, stabs in the dark or actual information greatly appreciated.

regards
                    Tim

Comment

You appear to have a few jigsaw pieces from possibly several different clusters of Pickhills - in the fullness of time, the clusters may all turn out to be part of the same big picture. OR maybe NOT!
                      The link could be several generations back from where you are now with your own line.

I had a similar conundrum 20+ years ago in Norfolk, with my own surname, which is fairly unusual. I concentrated on my own direct line, but kept ALL other references for the name in a separate file. I worked on these additional clusters at the same time, building up families and plotting trees. Eventually some of the clusters DID connect with my ever expanding extended family, but some of them, as yet, do NOT, even though they lived in a village very near to where my family members lived.

IGI (although very useful) only carries a minority percentage of baptisms & marriages, as do most other internet sites. (For every one you find, there are more that you don't know about!)
                      So I would advise you to keep on digging into all the separate clusters of the Pickhill name, but not to be in too much of a hurry to try and link them all together at this point.
                      Happy hunting.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks again Jay, especially for the encouragement. Sometimes you feel like going back in time, giving all your relatives a good shake and say to them "in 150 years time I'm going to be tracking this - make it a bit easier will you", though I am really aware of what you mean about patience, and just plodding along. My family were absolutely hopeless with anything to do with their family, and even home here I didn't think i was going to find much - then all of a sudden, by sheer fluke, I should point out (I was just poking around with some search engine links) a plethora of information literally poured out. Turns out we were quite an important pioneering family in the Bourke region of NSW, and also in South Australia, including my great uncle, a steamer captain, being interviewed for several books about the river traffic and river trade in Australia. I just have reams and reams of info on this great uncle now, which i would have missed if I wasn't such a sticky beak with search engine results. My family knew nothing about this, so it was quite a coup. The good thing about searching in Australia is that I only have 250 years of records to troll through - Britain has many many more years than that. Sometimes it is just a matter of waiting for more info to be uploaded to the net. It will all get there eventually. I've set up a database for the loose people, and grouped those I know are together. The family history groups here have been a great help, and I've encountered the same in England - more info was just emailed to me from the Lincoln fhs. I've been working on this for a long time now, and so thankful for the internet.

Oh - can I ask one question - are places like Lancaster and Lancashire the same? Is the 'shire' just a more formal term? You have different ways of dividing places up to us, and the terminology can be a bit confusing. I was putting in "Lancashire" in my family tree for members from Liverpool, but then noticed that some records were coming through just marked Lancaster.
                        regards
                        Tim

Comment

Perhaps the question I should be asking is - where to from here. Seeing as most of the loose threads come from Yorkshire, that would perhaps be the best place to concentrate efforts - where are the best places to track down obscure persons in Yorkshire? Do many of the small villages have archives, or do they go to one central point? Also, are there any fhs in these towns/villages. I am fairly sure that Joseph and Grace are Rickinson's mother and father, and that James is PERHAPS his brother, living with his wife Priscilla in Halifax. How successful would a hunt in Halifax be, and what would be the best places there to conduct searches? If we go by the IGI record, he was christened in Bradford - so probably born there. I will order a copy of the Rickinson Pickles death certificate from GRO, which might at least fill in the details for that. If Joseph & Grace are parents of Rickinson, then they have another daughter Grace christened in Kildwick. It is also possible that Mary is another daughter, but to another wife of Joseph's, and she was also christened in Kildwick. My assumption would be that they were both born in Kildwick. There is 7 years between them, so it is possible that Joseph lost one wife, and remarried. I know from contact with someone else in England that her relative from the same period married 4 times, so it appears to be not unusual. I know that a lot people died from illnesses. Is this making sense, or am I way off beam?
                          Tim

Comment

You may find it useful to explore the links on the Yorkshire page in our Reference Library.

Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Lancaster is a town, Lancashire is a county. (Lancashire is a contraction of the ancient Lancastershire. You sometimes still see the spelling Lancastershire on official documents, such as bmd certificates).

So you could be born in the town of Lancaster, in the county of Lancashire. The standard modern abbreviation for Lancashire is now Lancs, so you would be born in Lancaster, Lancs.

Hope this helps.

OC

Comment

Hi Tim,
                                Yorkshire is a large county, with several record offices.

In your quest to follow up some of your Yorkshire clues, you may find the "Where is it in Yorkshire?" section on the following link useful.

Clicking on the name of a place in the index takes you to a new screen and amongst the information given about the place is information about places of worship & parish records.

Also Streetmap will help you to find the location of places and allow you to see how near (or not) they are to each other.
                                streetmap, STREETMAP, street, Street, STREET, map, Map, street map, store, locator, store locator, london map, maps, mapping, embedded, venue, nearest to, Great Britain, Britain, United Kingdom, England, Scotland, Wales, GB, UK, OS, ordnance survey, british, British, BRITISH, scotland, Scotland, SCOTLAND, wales, Wales, WALES, a2z, A2Z, postcode, post code, post, code, city, town, village, search, searching, paper maps, motoring, digital mapping, computerised mapping, electronic maps, GPS, gps, global positioning system, grid, GIS, geographical information systems, cartography, geographic, atlases, guides, multimedia, cartesia, tourist information, topography, plots, land, land-form panorama, education, interactive geography, street atlas, gazetteer, one inch maps, scale, cadastre, MAP, MAPS, Maps, Geographic, GEOGRAPHIC, Mapping, geographical information system, national mapping agency, digital map data, street atlases, ATLASES, Atlases, spatial, geophysical, geodesy, consultancy, customised mapping, global positioning, geo-referencing, disaster, emergency, environmental, utilities, construction, infrastructure, archaeology, heritage, Heritage, HERITAGE, demographics, dredging, Global Positioning, ENVIRONMENTAL, Environmental, Environment, environment, ENVIRNMENT, Utilities, UTILITIES, Construction, Infrastructure, Archaeology, Ordnance Survey, Global Positioning System, Guides, Cartesia, Topography, Digital Terrain Models, Plots, PLOTS, Land, LAND, Land-Form Panorama, Landform Panorama, landform panorama, LAND-FORM PANORAMA, landform, Landform, LANDFORM, Education, london, London, LONDON, uk, Uk, gb, Gb, England, ENGLAND,england, pocket,street map,london street map, london street maps,uk street maps,glasgow street maps,edinburgh street maps,paris street map,detailed street map uk,leeds street map,street map of manchester, liverpool street map, birmingham street map, cardiff street map, central london street map, city of london map, greater london map, nottingham street map, bristol street map, milton keynes streetmap, stevenage street map, landranger map, hitchin streetmap, hatfield street maps, enfield streetmap, potters bar streetmap, Hertford Street map, Ware street map, Croydon Street map, uxbridge street map, Kensington streetmap, Buckingham palace sw1 street map, Northampton Streetmap,Corby Street map, post code look up, uk zip codes, uk street names, detailed maps, Southampton street map, streetmaps, street map of inverness, town maps, online street map, sheffield street map, blackpool street map, york street map, street map of hull, aberdeen street map, Necastle street map,Norwich street map, Theftford streetmap, Burnley Street map, Hemel hempstead streetmap, Dartford Street map, Walsall streetmap, Bicester Street map, Bath Street map, Huddersfield Street map, maidenhead street map, reading street map, slough street map, Windor street map, stratford upon avon street map,rugby street map,Letchworth street map, Lewisham Street map, Brixton Street map, Chelsea street map, Harrow Street map, oxford street map, street map of brighton, street map birmingham uk, durham street map, stoke street map, st helens street map,exeter street map, transport, direct, road maps, maps for geneology, Euston station map, Heathrow airport map, Liverpool street station map, Paddington street map, Motorway map, free way map uk, Darlington Street map, Leicester street map, derby street map, coventry street map, Baldock street map, Stanstead Street map, Hounslow Street map, Winchester Streetmap, Chicester Street map, Portsmouth street map, Havant Street map, Holy Island map, Isle of Wight map, Canvey Island Map, south end on sea map, Clacton Street map, Harwich streetmap, Holyhead Map, Bangor street map, Wrexham street map, Chester Street map, city centre maps, City Centre Hotels, London Hotels, airport Hotels, Manchester Hotels, UK Hotels,Hilton Hotels, Best western hotels, plymouth street map, Bristol uk street map,newcastle upon tyne street map, Newcastle streetmaps,Central milton keynes map, CMK Map, Meadow Hall map, cambridge street map, Royal tunbridge wells street map, street map of luton, street map of cheltenham, street map co uk, london street map, ipswich street map, Tourist map of London, UK map online, lincoln street map, Dundee street map, street map exeter, street map of gloucester, street map of bournemouth, swindon street map, London UK map, street map england, street map finder, carlisle street map,london a z street map, street map of peterborough, colchester street map, doncaster street map, city street map, local street map,street map of manchester city center

If you have a query about a specific Pickhills individual or family group, then post full details of that person and I'm sure members will try to help you if they can - IF the information is out there (and sometimes it isn't, unfortunately.)

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just a thought, but do you have an LDS family history centre near you? If so, you can hire films of the relevant parish registers to view at the centre. It sounds as if you are at the stage where you need to construct mini trees from parish records, to sort out who is related to whom.

OC

Comment

I'll check that out today. Thanks caroline.

Comment

Thanks OC. That's made it a lot clearer.

Comment

Thanks again Jay - I'll check the links out today Also setting up a separate file in my Mac Family Tree for all the threads. The maps will be useful - as certificates have arrived, and I get the actual streets where events happened, I've been using Google Maps to have a look (Street View is great to have a look at places). The thing I really love about Britain is that so many of the old streets are still there - with the original houses, and it is like putting yourself in the picture seeing the actual address of a relative that lived there maybe 150 years ago or more.
                                        Have received links from Lincoln and Nottinghamshire to get documents from the archives - I checked on a counties map, and now realise that the counties sort of border Yorkshire, which doesn't make the records seem so strange. I realise that all the records I need to link people probably aren't goiing to be available. I have found a large collection of Yorkshire links also at Genuki - there is a Yorkshire England GenWeb Project section there, also what looks to be an interesting society in Kildwick who seem to not mind doing searches, so I will email them today and see what they can find.
                                        Tim

Comment

Working...
                                        X