Help with a Makey brickwall please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Makey brickwall please

I am tring to find records of William Makey born 1813 Eythorne Kent, I have found a marriage (1847 in Reigate Surrey) and death (1897 in Dover Kent) but cannot find any reference to birth or parentage.

It is possible they were baptists as there was an important baptist church in the village. Also I am unable to find him in the 1841 census, but he then appears in all the others up to 1891.

Did the Baptists keep records in the same way as C of E parish churches.

All advice / help would be gratefully received as I have been stuck on this for a while now.
    Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Hi - wonder if it's worth an e mail to the church - http://www.eythorne-baptist.co.uk/

Comment

...and have you tried this site? http://www.kent-opc.org/index.html

Comment

Hiya Andy...don`t know if this is relevant ,but on familysearch he is on the 1881 British Census b 1813 in Eythorn ,Kent
        12 Clarendon St
        Hougham
        Kent
        William Makey head aged 67 Baker
        Mary J Makey wife aged 64 Charlwood,Surrey
        before we go any further ...is your marriage of William Makey to a Mary J ?????....allan
        Last edited by garstonite; 19-05-10, 08:06.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Baptist registers (pre-1837) show dates of birth, not dates of baptism. Some are online, some are held by Record Offices, and some are still held by the church.

You could try e-mailing the local Record Office to ask if they have the registers; alternatively, as Naomi suggests, try the church.

Comment

Many thanks Mary, I will get in touch with the church as it is still active.

Hi Garstonite, yes it is William and Mary J. I have info on her parents siblings etc, it is just the parentage of William I am trying to trace. If I can get to his grand parents even better. I know there is some info on Ancestry but the information is sketchyand in my view insufficiently referenced. Being a thorough kind of guy I like to be able to see the proof or the references of that proof for myself if you know what I mean!.... Andy

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

I see living in the same household as your William and his family that in the 1851 census there is a sister listed called Sarah Makey bn circa 1829 in Churlwood Surrey have you seen her on your travels maybe her info from the 1841 if you can find her would shed some further information on Wm's parentage,
              WendyP

Comment

Hi Wendy, I have seen her but not in the same place as the William I am looking at being born in what I assume is Charlwood Surrey is a good pointer. Any chance you could let me have the link as I cannot seem to find him in the 1841 / 51 census now, I think I am doing something wrong on Ancestry (I don't like the changes to their searches, it seems to make people harder not easier to find).

Comment

Hi

To refind your William Makey in the 1851 census go look for Sarah Makey bn 1829 living in the Registration district of Dover in the Cty of Kent she's the only one that's listed.
                  WendyP

Comment

Sorry Wendy am I being really thick here? I search on Sarah Makey bn 1829 Resident in Kent, or Dover and I get three results one from Lancashire, one from Lincolnshire and one from Nonnington Kent bn abt 1832..... The only William on that one is William H Makey who is her father......

Seriously confused!

Comment

Hi Andy

I have sent you a private message.
                      WendyP

Comment

Thanks Wendy, I have found the entry on Ancestry, on the transcription they have she is shown as Sarah Wickens, who is Mary J's sister, I do have a history for her as she never married. sO I think I may be back to square one unfortunately.
                        Anyway thanks for your help and patience.

Comment

Hi, I have only just joined today (19.10.11) and can help with this line of Makey.
                          Let me have your postal address and will photocopy the data for you.
                          See my website at; http://makeyfamilyheritage.weebly.com/index.html

Kindest regards
                          Alan

Comment

Hi Alan, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Andymak, who posted the original query, hasn't been online for a couple of months. It might be better to send him a private message by clicking on his name to the left of his post. He has his options set to receive an email notification of any message sent to him, so providing his email address is still current he will be advised that a message is awaiting him.
                            Elaine

Comment

Many thanks Elaine, is it warm in Spain?
                              Have posted a private message.
                              Kindest regards
                              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by genealogy View Post
                                Many thanks Elaine, is it warm in Spain?
                                Yes! :D
                                Elaine

Comment

wish it was warm here!! am nithered!!
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                  X