Help with missing census returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with missing census returns

Hi I am have a tidy up and have just realised that I have some missing census returns. I wonder if the kind people here could help me find them.

The people I am Looking for are as follows:

Thomas Smith born 1785 Shinningrove Yorkshire. Last found living in Sandsend Whitby 1851
    I can't find a death registration for him - so is he still alive in 1861?

Thomas Metcalfe born 1820 Hutton Conyers, Ripon. Living in Ripon 1841 with wife Betsy (Elizabeth)and daughter Emma. Betsy died 1847. in 1851 Thomas has disappeared of the radar but his children are living with grandparents (William born 1844). He is also missing in 1861, but is back on the scene living with his mother Mary born 1785 on the 1871 census. 1881 he is living in Hartlepool. Not sure what happened to him after that.

William Metcalfe (son of above) born 1844 Sharrow, Ripon. In 1851 living with his grandparents Richard and Mary Metcalfe but he has disappeared in 1861. In 1871 he is living in Hunslet Leeds as a railway employee (cant read the second part of the job description).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sandra

Thomas Smith born 1785 Shinningrove Yorkshire. Last found living in Sandsend Whitby 1851
    I can't find a death registration for him - so is he still alive in 1861?

Should that be Skinningrove?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Janet,

Yes it should, that's me trying to do things in a hurry and not checking my facts properly.

Sandra

Comment

Can't spot a good match for him in 1861 - did he have children?
        If so, when & where were they born? Could he have been living with one of them in 1861?
        (Haven't attempted looking for a death for a Smith in the time frame when no age was given in the index, LOL)

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Janet,

I have to confess I have not been able to find what happened to all his children, primarily because of the surname!!

His children were Thomas born 1813, Hannah born 1815 (my direct ancestor) married name Jefferson died after 1861(another mystery in need tidying!), William 1816, Margaret 1819, Elizabeth 1824 and Isaiah 1827 - death 1847 Liverton, Saltburn, Yorkshire. All children born in Whitby.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
          X