Can anyone offer a clue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone offer a clue?

A friend mentioned that he had starting Family research but had reached a brick wall on his great Gmother and asked if I had any idea where he might get some info/clues.

This is what he's written:

I said I'd ask on here initially as I was sure someone would have some ideas I have it mind to then ask him to join us.

My Great Grandmother was German, of Russian descent and born in Hamburg about 1849 and married my Great Grandfather ( born in the Isle of Wight) in Southampton in 1873.

I would like to see her immigration papers and also to see if any of her family sailed over from Hamburg to Southampton for the wedding. Their name is Stupakoff so quite rare in Britain.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Ancestry have Hamburg Passenger Lists 1850-1934, but having just searched the name they are all after 1880 (41 of them).

TNA might throw up some results re immigration/naturalisation.
    Jay

Comment

Thanks for looking at this Jay, and for looking on Ancestry.

um....what is TNA please?
      Dorothy G

Comment

The National Archives Dorothy
        Jay

Comment

Ancestry have a tree wuth this name, which looks like the same family.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Not what you are looking for, but Times has only one hit for a Stupakoff 14 Jan 1884 an ad for a cook

"Cook where kitchenmaid is kept. German. Understands French cooking. pastry, ices and dairy. Wages £45 - E Stupakoff 87 Overbury-street Clapton-park E"

Comment

Gosh thank you.

Jay - that's what he was thinking he'd have to do, but he lives on the Isle of man - so it's a bit of trek

Wendy - Thanks that sounds good - but as I 've let my Ancestry sub go - won't let me look :(

Jill : Oooh, gosh, I'll pass that on too.

It's certainly an unusual name.

PS: Wendy I've mailed your link to a local friend who'll look at it for me, thanks.
              Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 17-05-10, 21:02.
              Dorothy G

Comment

She would not have needed immigration papers to enter Britain, and once she had married, would automatically be a British citizen (if her husband was a British citizen, of course).

I would have thought that if any of her family were present at her wedding, at least one of them would have been a witness on the cert.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - well, that's interesting info.

I don't know if he's got the marriage cert - but I'll ask him to look..... altho of course, they may not have been witnesses
                  Dorothy G

Comment

Interesting to see the banns on Ancestry for them been read in West Ham London. Him otp her of St Paul's Southampton
                    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

there is a tree on Genealogy.com which appears to include her father Semion Romanovitch Stupakoff as mentioned in the Ancestry tree given in a previous reply

Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Thank you very much Mike.

And I can access that one

So I'll pass that on.

PS: Just been to have a look - and I'm a bit confused! Probably because it's absolutely ages since I've been on there - but I can't find the Catherine Stupakoff I need. There's an earlier one, I think (or is it later?) but the one I need is 1849. Could you kindly tell me where I'm going wrong?
                        Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 18-05-10, 16:15.
                        Dorothy G

Comment

Hi she does not appear on the genealogy.com tree but her father Simon Romanowitz Stupakoff Birth 1820 in Hamburg Deutschland Death 1876 appears in both trees with the same wife Anna Katharina Hay
                          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

and her bother Heinrich Ferdinand Alexander Si Stupakoff
                            Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

HI

theres a Catherine Stupakoff shown as born circa 1847 Germany in the 1871 census working in the household of Charles Blackader then in the year of 1873 there is a marriage of a Mary C F W Stupakoff to either Alfred Buckler or Alfred Reynolds
                              WendyP

Comment

Of course she may have had her name mangled - Stupakoff might be recorded as Schtupakoff or Stupakov etc.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Just located the thread where your friend has posted his initial request for help heres the web address so we can prevent duplication what inof they already have.

WendyP

Comment

Gosh, that's very clever of you Wendy - yes that's him. Thanks Wendy

I'll contact him now and let him have all the info that I've got together thanks to yours and everybody's help. I was able to view my friend's Ancestry site, and took copious notes!

Thank you all very much from both of us.
                                    Dorothy G

Comment

I'm glad to say he's now joined us here and I've welcomed him to the Forum.
                                      Dorothy G

Comment

Hello and a big thank you to those who have been helping me. I have just joined the FT Forum and I am slowly finding my feet. I am afraid I am unable to view anything on Ancestry in spite of being registered with them but I don't like handing over a blank credit card to an American company after past experiences. I thought they would let me have a little peep but NO.

Anyway with your help I have some interesting and puzzling things to follow up and I am forwarding your findings to my closest Stupakoff cousins in the USA, in San Paulo Brazil and in Hamburg Germany but they are scratching their heads too.

Re the finding by "Jill on the A272". No one knows who this E. Stupakoff is at the moment but the address at Clapton Park is interesting because I have a photo ( circa 1890) of my Great Grandparents Alfred James Buckler and his wife Mary (nee Stupakoff) and their family and the photographer's studio is also at Clapton Park ! I will try and attach a photo as it is nice for researchers to see the real people they are investigating.
                                        1890 touched.jpg P.S. Is there a way I can show my photo larger?
                                        Last edited by Querty; 20-05-10, 09:12.

Comment

Working...
                                        X