Illegitamacy & Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegitamacy & Certificate

Over the past few days I've bee reviewing some of my findings, emphasis on some because i've been involved in this great past-time for over 20yrs.

On one of my census, in 1901, I'd overlooked an intriguing entry at the bottom of the listing of family members for a child aged 2 stated as being the G/Son to the Head of the family. I was puzzled because I was fairly certain I had the family well documented. The only candidate could be a daughter, aged 20yrs, not yet married.

I could not find a birth entry but intriguingly found a baptism six yrs after his birth stating just the family surname under the "Parents" heading. I then purchased the 1911 census in the name of the daughter, now married, and there he was but described as
    brother-in-law to the head, therefore her brother. Clearly now illegitamcy confirmed.

My next move, I thought, could be the purchase of his Marriage Certificate which
    should normally show the father and this is where I stopped!. Not really wanting to spend the increased amount of £9.50 for a certificate which would state everything I
    already knew (his spouse's name) is shown in the index, would anyone know if a name
    would be shown under the "Father" heading or would it state "unknown". There is, of course, the possibility of him using a ficticious name for the purpose of the Marriage Certificate.

So, if anyone out there has encountered a similar intriguing happening perhaps they would give me a shout.

dreen22

I'm really not sure how you can be certain that the child was illegitimate as you have two conflicting relationships shown in the census.
    You say he was listed as grandson in the 1901 census - presumably the head of the household at that time was the father of the 20 year old daughter you refer to.
    In 1911 it is claimed he is the brother of the 20 year old daughter.
    Personally I would need to get a birth certificate to confirm which relationship is correct. You say you cannot see a birth registration - do you want to give some details to see if anyone can help?

As to the marriage certificate, and whether a father would be shown - I think your only way of answering this is to buy it and see!
    Elaine

Comment

I think that people often tried to put the best gloss they could on things, even if it meant lying to 'officialdom'.

On OH's tree I have one 'lady' who had 3 illegitimate children but described herself as a widow in the census (she wasn't). Later, when her eldest daughter married, it looks she made up a name for her father by combining her own surname and her stepfather's first name. In other words, whatever you find it could be lies!

Comment

The original baptismal entry may be a better find. I have a great great aunt giving birth to a child in 1857. She did not marry until 1860. Intrigued I sent for the birth certificate, but the father's space was blank! A few years later I happened to be near the church they were baptised and was allowed access to the parish chest, where I found a book of Births, Marriages and Deaths and many gems relating to my family that I did not know about, including the name of the father of this illegitimate child! It was brilliant. I gather that she would have had to reveal the father's name to obtain poor law relief, but the father's name was never put on to the statutory Birth Certificate. Worth writing to the church or visiting to see if there is anything further written in the official book. Other than that you have no choice but to purchase marriage cert which may or may not contain father's name, which may or may not be correct as others have said.

Janet

Comment

OK, they say two heads are better than one. I've searched over the past few days again, but no luck. His name is Ernest Ames born 1898/9 in Southwark. He was baptised in 1904, aged 6 yrs and parentage is stated simply as "Ames". The address given is that of the supposed Grandparents and family. I've have found a marriage entry in 1920 at Kensington, his supposed mother was a resident here after her marriage.

dreen22
          Last edited by dreen22; 23-05-10, 20:39. Reason: spacing incorrect

Comment

"I could not find a birth entry"

How about this birth registration:
            Jun 1898
            AMES, Ernest Tourell St. Saviour 1d 18
            St Saviour district covers Southwark and the unusual middle name could just be a hint to his father's name if he was indeed illegitimate.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My Ernest is Ernest E Ames. I have found this Ernest Tourell you mention on one of the census and he is an entirely different person. The longer information is not available it makes the mystery more intriguing.
              Following up the marriage entry I've found a possible connection (not to the father) but I cannot prove this at the moment. However, if anyone comes up with something else I would be pleased to
              hear. Perhaps Elaine's remark about "purchasing the Marriage Certificate" will become a consideration.

Comment

Working...
              X