Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Day Wheathampstead,Hertfordshire 1756

John Day Born 1756- Martha Arnold Born 1750

They married on 12th October 1775 at Wheathamsted,they had three children, James 1776-1843, Mary 1779-1798 & John 1781-1875,looking for the death dates of John/Martha or any other info would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Moya Smith {nee day}

Hi Moya - do you know where any of the children are buried..sometimes that can lead back to their parents..

Comment

Unfortunately i only know the death place of John 1781-1875 which was in N.S.W, Australia, his death cert shows his father as a naval officer and mother as unknown which could be understandable as John was transported to the colonies for 7 years and arrived in Port Jackson on the ship the " BARING" in July 1815.

Comment

Hi - have you tried this site http://www.wheathampstead.net/families/index.shtml
        Early Families of Wheathampstead ....You can e mail for a look up, plus add the names you have to their info.

Comment

Hi Moya,

I shall be going to the Hertfordshire Record Office in the next couple of weeks and I only live 2 miles from Wheathampstead. Send me a pm with all your details and I shall see what I can find.
          Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 17-05-10, 10:54.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

There is a settlement for a John Day of Wheathampstead. It will be interesting to see if it is your chap!

John Day
            Wheathampstead CP109
            Kimpton
            Wheathampstead
            Jun 03 1726

John Day
            OffAcc1108/2/57
            Wheathampstead
            Harpenden
            Jun 20 1765
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The 1765 John DAY had a wife Elizabeth but this Examination looks like your man.

John DAY 27/1/1777 C/P109/13/2
              Aged 24, he resides in Wheathampstead. From Michaelmas 1773 to Michaelmas 1774 he went as a yearly servant to Jeremiah SIBLEY of Water End, Sandridge (Hrt). He has had no other settlement since. He is now married to Martha with a child James (5 mos).
              Glen

Comment

This is an interesting marriage:

John Burke
                Martha Day
                Wheathampstead

30 Nov 1791

You can go onto the website and pay for and download the information.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

John Day
                  Martha Arnold
                  Wheathampstead

12 Oct 1775

John Day
                  Hannah Bland
                  Wheathampstead

28 Nov 1782

John Day
                  Sarah Murkin of Harpenden
                  Wheathampstead

25 Nov 1811

John Day
                  Mary Field
                  Wheathampstead

25 May 1801
                  John Day
                  Dorothy Day
                  Wheathampstead

All these marriages in Wheathampstead - including your man!
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Where was he sentenced? It doesn't appear to be Herts. Also, is it his death cert. that says he's born in Wheathampstead?

The examination above doesn't indicate that the father of the John transported in 1815 was a naval officer. In fact I'd think they were few & far between in Herts. Are you sure you have the correct person?
                    Last edited by Oakum Picker; 17-05-10, 11:44. Reason: More questions
                    Glen

Comment

Moya, I think we need to know why you think that John Day and Martha Day are the parents of John 1781-1875.

Tell us everything that you know about John 1781-1875.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth,
                        Will advise all details tomorrow 18/5 as it's getting a bit late here, 11.22pm and i'm off to bed .

regards,
                        Moya.

Comment

Good night, Moya.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Glen,
                            Sentenced at Stafford Quarter Sessions on 31/1/1813 and may of been incarcerated aboard one of the prison hulks,he was aboard the ship the "Baring" when it sailed from Plymouth in April 1815 and arrived in Port jackson N.S.W in Sept 1815.

I have a copy of his N.S.W death cert and i suppose at the end of the day it's only as good as the paper it's written on, on his death cert it shows that he was born in Hertfordshire,England, i have found a few errors on the cert it shows his age as 87 but under how long in Australia it shows 60 years and he was 34 when he came to Aust so that makes him 94, it also had seven children listed but he had eight, so maybe his father was'nt a naval officer after all ?

Regards,
                            Moya.

Comment

Hi Moya,

Thanks for your pms.

As John Day is a common name, could you tell me why you think that these are your John Day's parents?

"John Day Born 1756- Martha Arnold Born 1750

They married on 12th October 1775 at Wheathamsted,they had three children, James 1776-1843, Mary 1779-1798 & John 1781-1875,looking for the death dates of John/Martha or any other info would be much appreciated."

I am trying to establish if this is just conjecture or if you have proof that this was your John's family and that your John was their son.

"John Day, son of John Day, was born on December 3, 1781 in Hertfordshire, England, was baptised on December 16, 1781 in Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire, England, died on July 5, 1875 in Thurgoona near Albury, NSW1 at age 93, and was buried in Family Plot, Albury Cemetery, NSW. "

However, the John Day convicted in Stafford was 34 in January 1813, so born c. 1779.

Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth,
                                I was going by the attached info i gathered from the Public Members Tree and other parts of ancestry.com, i guess it's up for debate wether he was 34 in 1813 or 1815 ?

Regards,
                                Moya.

3 Dec<LI id=ctl15_ctl01_rptEvents_ctl00_eventDetails class=eventDetails>BirthWheathampstead, Hertfordshire, England
                                <LI class=rightCitations>2 source citations

Hide source citations

• 1875 5 JulAge: 93
                                • DeathAlbury, New South Wales, Australia

Comments

No comments have been added yet.

Add a comment

Family Members

Parents

Show siblings Hide siblings

Spouse & Children

Comment

I haven't got Ancestry at the moment so I can't see the tree.

Have you contacted the owner of the tree?
                                  You need to satisfy yourself that the information is accurate, because some of the trees on Ancestry are good and others are rubbish!
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:

Comment

Moya,

I think the trees on Ancestry are mostly guesswork. They have the info. on his death cert. which shows he's from Hertfordshire & the only baptism online (& millions aren't) that fits is the one from Wheathampstead but the Examination for that John's father shows he is unlikely to be a naval man. Have the Wheathampstead burial records been checked to confirm he survived to adulthood?

Personally I'd be more inclined to look to Herefordshire. Mixups between the 2 counties are frequent especially in other countries. Hereford is also closer to Stafford & the sea. The trial is also likely to have been reported in the local Staffs. newspaper & if it has survived could reveal more details of John DAY.
                                    Glen

Comment

Elizabeth,
                                      The more i look at this i think maybe his parents were'nt John & Martha, the information given in the John Day Monaro report appears false, as his Indent papers show that he was 25 yrs of age on arrival in 1815 and a Labourer from Hertford, it showed on the N.S.W Aust 1828 census that he was 34 yrs old when they done that census but when you work that out he should of been 38, i mentioned this to the History Services dept in N.S.W and they informed me that the 1828 census was riddled with errors and that the age shown on the indent papers would be his correct age which is 25 in 1815.

I wonder wether his sentencing papers would be available from his appearance at Staffordshire Quarter Sessions in January 1813,maybe they would show his parents name or address or some other vital details, i'm open to any advise and the only thing we can be certain of at the moment is his sentence date, his departure date of 1815 on the Baring and his death date of 1875.

regards,
                                      Moya.

Comment

Working...
                                      X