World war 2 records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World war 2 records

Can somebody point me in the right direction please, i want to search the records for world war 2 and see if anybody in one side of husbands family were in the war and see who they were in the same regiment as to see if i can eliminate that as an option for my problem. All i can find is places to search where you have to pay is there anywhere you can see basics for free?

many thanks.x
    Jen

Jennie

Army records for service personnel in World War 2 are still with the MOD. There is an address to write to which I think is in the Wikki. For you to be able to access you will need to complete a form which should be on line to complete, be able to provide proof you are next of kin and a sum of £30 is required.

You can ususally find out movements of where various regiments were during the war but you will need to know his regiment for that. War Diaries are available at TNA for that sort of research. This will of course not give you details of people but will give details ofthe battles in which your ancestor took part.

You can get medal entitlements from TNA at a cost of £3.50 also through ancestry but these do not give you a lot of information.

You can see the website below for more information.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 16-05-10, 13:33.

Comment

I don't think that there is Jennie, but will be happy to be proved wrong.
      Lynn

Comment

As previously mentioned WW2 records are only available to NOK which has to be proven
        Here is the link to the Veterans Agency, to whom the application has to be made, you can download the appropriate forms form there.

The Medal rolls on Ancestry are for WW1 only

How to apply for a medal or veterans badge - who can apply, application forms, contact details, how long it takes, replacement military medals or badges

George
        Last edited by Haydn; 16-05-10, 15:57.
        Researching Drury, Tinley, Watson, Pavier. Mainly Nottinghamshire

Comment

The only free records I know of are WWII deaths, which you'll find here:

Ancestry also has British Army Prisoners of War, 1939-1945.

Comment

Thankyou. Maybe i am barking up the wrong tree again then lol. I don't know which ancestor it was who was in the war so i was wondering if there was a way of searching the names which i think it could of been to see if they were in it. Thanks again for your help.x
            Jen

Comment

I'm fairly certain that any soldier, sailor, airman who served WW2 was awarded Victory Medals. Ancestry has a Register of such awards and if you put up a name, a lot of eager helpers will gladly respond.

Comment

Thankyou Alan i have ancestry so will go and have a look and see if i can find it on there.
                Jen

Comment

You won't find any WW2 medal records on Ancestry unfortunately. There are recommendations of honours and awards for WW2 on the documentsonline website, but this does not cover the standard WW2 medals, just special awards like Military Cross, Military Medal, Mention in Despatches etc.
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

If a man was in the Merchant Navy you'll find his medal record on the documentsonline website. Any Merchant Navy service record for that period may also be name searchable on the National Archives website - just put name into "Search the Catalogue" and use BT as the reference to search.
                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

You might be lucky and find something in the Gazette:

Comment

Working...
                      X