"Moore-fields" - London knowledge needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Moore-fields" - London knowledge needed

I am trying to trace the burial of someone who gave his address in June 1753 (when a witness at the Old Bailey) as "Mulberry-court near Moore-fields". He was dead by August 1755 and I'm hoping to find his burial by trawling through the registers on Ancestry. Which church or churches would be the best to try, given this address?

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

On a London street index for 1799 there is a Moorfields, Finsbury Square listed , as well as Mulberry Court, Finsbury Square listed.
    Elaine

Comment

Moorfields as a street is still there. How about Bunhill Fields as a burial place?
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Elaine and UJ. I've already looked through the records for St Giles Cripplegate which is where his children were baptised (1720s), and I can't see his burial there, although it seems to be in the Finsbury Park area. Bunhill Fields certainly looks to be nearby – am I right in thinking there are no records online?

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Here's a link to the Bunhill Fields website, scroll down and it tells you about burial records.

I'm working down the road from the burial ground and if you want a pic pm me and i'll pop down there for you - but you'll have to be quick as i'm only working nearby for the next couple of weeks

elaine
          Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

What a kind offer, Elaine, but I don't think I'll be able to find out anything about his burial for some time yet (if it was at Bunhill, that is, and at the moment that seems likely). It seems that Guildhall Library is the place to see the records, so I shall have to put it on a list for one day when I get myself to London. It's probably at least 20 years since my last visit to London, way before my family history days, so I really must make an effort to get there.

scuda

Comment

Bunhill Fields was - as far as I know - for non-conformists. You could try St. Luke's Old Street which is on Ancestry.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You could try St. Luke's Old Street which is on Ancestry.
                Thanks for the idea, Nell, but I've just had a look at the St Luke's records, and he's not there.

scuda

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
                  Thanks Elaine and UJ. I've already looked through the records for St Giles Cripplegate which is where his children were baptised (1720s), and I can't see his burial there, although it seems to be in the Finsbury Park area. Bunhill Fields certainly looks to be nearby – am I right in thinking there are no records online?

scuda
                  Just for Info Finsbury is not nearby to Finsbury park although they are now in the same Borough.
                  Check out neighbouring parishes in Camden and City of London as he's right on the edge there!

Comment

OK Peppie, I'll do that. My knowledge of London is very limited, so I'm grateful for any advice.

scuda

Comment

Found him at St Leonard Shoreditch! I hadn't thought of looking there, but when I was looking through for a baptism I'd found on IGI I spotted Mulberry Court given as an address, so hunted for my man. So problem solved, completely by chance.

Thanks for your input everyone.

scuda

Comment

Well done. Please can I borrow your needle to prod around in my haystack.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Well done! I was going to suggest St Leonards next. It's within walking distance of St Luke's.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                          X