William Ward marriage help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Ward marriage help

Help I have bought some more credits on Ancestry and managed to find William Ward on the 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 censuses but looking for a bit of help with his birth or marriage.

I know from his son's birth certificate (Charles William Ward) in 1868 that the parents were listed as William Ward and Elizabeth Wood. In the 1871 census he is listed as age 23 and a craftsman I think and Elizabeth is listed as age 22 so they could not have been married long and Charles seems to be their 1st child. William and Elizabeth's place of birth are both listed as Stratford Essex.

If I can find the marriage that will give me both William and Elizabeth's fathers and then could try the 1861 census. The birth would give me both parents names.

Many thanks

Steven

PS This is a side I realised I had not explored

William Ward and Elizabeth Wood
    Sep 1867 West Ham 4A 52

Comment

How do you manage to find these? You must have the nack for it Val. Thanks very much the best option would be to order that then it gives me both fathers names

Can I ask a question? When researching another part of the tree a forum member was able to get me a copy of a marriage record from 1860 in Stepney of a Jonathan Pettit to Sarah Poole and that saved me having to order the marriage certificate. I think this was because the marriage was in London. Could the same be done for William & Elizabeth Ward as they also got married in London? I think it was through Ancestry and something to do with London Parish records but not sure.

Is that possible or do I have to order via GRO?

Thanks again Val

Kind regards

Steven

Comment

try using FreeBMD for marriages its much easier to find the other half, sorry the marriage info isnt on the LMA

Comment

That was it Val the LMA - its a pity its not on it - why would that be?

Thanks though will order via GRO then

Would the LMA have William's birth? Sorry to be so ignorant - just not sure what information it has on it. I think he would be born around 1858 in Stratford, Essex.

Regards

Steven

Comment

maybe cos its Essex ?? this site is pretty good for Essex info

Comment

Val I come from Scotland and thought Essex was London lol !!!!!!!!

Thought I had found his birth on freereg but unfortunately it was 1853 which is a bit too early.

Steven

Comment

how can he be born in 1858 and married in 1867 ?

Comment

Oops 1848 it must be. In 1871 he is listed as 23 which makes it approx 1848 and in 1881 he is listed as 33 which again looks like 1848 - can't add it seems!!!!!

Steven

Comment

Tried the 1861 census but unfortunately because I don't have the parents names its too much of a guessing game - looks like I will have to wait until I order the marriage certificate and in the meantime find other things to look up as the credits expire in 2 weeks.

Cannot find William and Elizabeth in 1891 - I have found Charles in 1891 but he is living with his Aunt & Uncle in West Ham as a Railway Engine Driver but cannot find his parents in 1891. In 1881 William is listed as age 33, a carpenter and Elizabeth is age 32. They have a son John who is age 10 and might still be with his parents, a son William who is 6, a daughter Agnes who is 2 and a daughter Emily I think who is 4 months and they are all living in Stratford, West Ham.

Onwards and upwards

Steven
                    Last edited by stevie2006; 15-05-10, 13:31.

Comment

1861 census has a William Ward born 1849 Stratford, Essex living with parents Charles & Caroline in Stratford, Essex.

RG9; Piece: 1054; Folio: 85; Page: 38; GSU roll: 542744.
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy the year of birth and area ie Stratford all look ok - might go on and use a credit and keep that one and can then verify when I get the marriage certificate through.

Thats a great help

Steven

Comment

Hi Wendy downloaded the image thats the 2nd time a Ward was over two pages costing me two credits!!!! They are the going to be trouble these Wards. Also the father is listed as Charles and that is the name of William's son, my ancestor.

Thanks Wendy

Steven

Comment

Hi I have been looking tonight for some more censuses but I am stuck on the 1891 census.

In 1891 I have Charles living with his Uncle but cannot find his mother or father. I did find his mother Elizabeth on the 1901 census in West Ham aged 50 with a daughter Emily age 20 and a daughter Rose age 16. I then tried 1891 using Elizabeth on her own, seraching then for Emily and Rose but no luck - can anyone help with 1891

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven

There is a William Ward died 1897 West Ham aged 54 years born C 1843 which would fit in.There is also a death for an Elizabeth Ward died 1899 aged 49 years born C 1850.But you would need to order them to see if they are the right ones.

Cheers Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue do you have the quarter, volume and page number if thats not too much trouble and will look to order them. If William died in 1897 that would fit in with the fact he is not on 1901 census. However I have Elizabeth on 1901 census and children match so looks like she is still alive

Been at it for hours and still cannot find 1891 census

Steven

Comment

Steve what address are they at in 1901 ????

Comment

Hi Val in 1901 they were living at 61 Manor Road, West Ham. In 1881 they were living at 41 Preston Road in West Ham (cannot make out writing too clear in 1881). In 1891 Charles in living with a Thomas & Mary Mears and is listed as nephew and they are living at 2 Curtis Street Plaistow (I think it says Curtis). This is the first time I have seen the name Mears. Charles is listed as a Railway Engine Driver.

There may be more family with Elizabeth in 1901 as they are at the bottom of the census and so far twice the Ward's have been split over 2 pages. Elizabeth is listed as age 50 and her and all three children are listed as Stratford Essex as their places of birth. I am assuming William is dead.

Hope this helps and fingers crossed you once again come up trumps

PS They are listed as Word in 1901 on Ancestry but when you look at the image it is definately Ward.

Steven
                                    Last edited by stevie2006; 16-05-10, 12:42.

Comment

Hi Val thanks for the PM it really is a puzzle that we cannot find her in 1891 - I am starting to wonder if she was away from the home when the census was taken although in every one before and after she is around the West Ham area. It is also a puzzle in 1901 - I thought that she was a widow and that William might have died but as you it still shows that she is married.

A whole afternoon and still no joy

Thanks for looking

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                      X