Query on 1890's care facility.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query on 1890's care facility.

Charlotte Barnett was born in Kent in 1842. Sadly she was termed "Imbecile from birth" and suffered from fits. She was cared for at home. In 1881 the family are living at Westerham, and Charlotte is 38 years old. However her mother died in 1890. I cannot find a record for Charlotte having died and she is not with her father in 1891. Would she have gone to some kind of home - what was available then, was it like a workhouse or asylum? How can I find out more on this, I've had a look on the site and can't find anything specific.

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I think she would probably have been put in the asylum, where all those with problems vaguely connected to the brain and nervous system were put. Hubby has one in his tree who ended up there and died young, which I find very sad.

Comment

Here's some asylums in Kent http://www.countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/kent.htm

Comment

It might also be worth looking outside the local area where she'd been living - my gg-uncle, also an 'imbecile', was born in east London, and lived there most of his life with his family, but spent his last few years in an asylum in Surry.

Comment

Thanks you two, will go through the list and see what I can find.

Linda
          Linda

Comment

With London the asylums were built in the surrounding countryside, so not only were they tucked away and self-supporting, but also the fresh air was meant to do them good. However if she lived in rural Kent, I would try the nearest one first. If the records exist then they will be at the county record office. Very often census returns would just show their initials to shield their IDs. What death entries have you found in their name? Are these in locations of an asylum?

Comment

... But there again, depending on the severity of her condition, she may not be living with her father because she's either working as a servant somewhere, or has got married. Perhaps you could put their details up on this thread so members can see if they can find them for you

Comment

I would doubt that she would be able to work, her condition sounded quite bad, as they said she suffered from ill health and fits. She was born in 1842 in Hever, Kent so my last sighting of her was at age 38 here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...c=&pid=8153647. I think George and a number of his offspring worked on the Chartwell estate, and lived next to it.

In 1891 father George is with a housekeeper, and in 1901 he is living with his sister and a niece. He died in 1910. They lived in the Sevenoaks district of Kent. There are quite a number of Barnetts in this area, mostly extended family.

Thanks again

Linda
                Linda

Comment

I am looking for you Linda, but without much luck at the moment... :(

Comment

Thanks Velma, it doesn't surprise me, I can't find a lot of this family, thet must have flitted about the country a lot!

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

The 1891 census has a female named C E B, 48, in Kent County Asylum, Maidstone, which could be her,

or there is on FreeBMD the death of a Charlotte Barnett aged 46 in Maidstone in March Qtr 1897

Hope this helps

George
                      Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Hi George, thanks for your help - I looked at the C E B, but the one I found was a retired Housekeeper, and my Charlotte was never fit enough to work unfortunately. However I did notice just underneath there was an entry for a C B from Sevenoaks aged 47 with Dementia, which could be her. I will check out that death entry, thanks very much.

Linda
                        Linda

Comment

Just checked and there doesn't seem to be another Charlotte Barnett who would fit with that death, or at least nothing is leaping out at me. I think the best way to determine this now would be to get that cert. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Linda
                          Linda

Comment

Oh well done George!

Comment

Working...
                            X