Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lingering Fear - East Sussex Hospitals and the Workhouse Legacy

Just received this book from Amazon

Haven't read it yet, but has info & photos of workhouses turned hospitals in Battle, Hastings, Eastbourne, Brighton, Shoreham, Newhaven, Chailey & Cuckfield.

Hope this is of interest to members with connections to these towns

That sounds interesting both my sons were born in the former Cuckfield workhouse. (I photographed the old building and its chapel recently if anyone needs a photo).

Another interesting workhouse book is "The Workhouse Cookbook" ( which worried my OH when I bought it "You're not planning to cook any of the recipes are you?" he asked anxiously) which traces the development of the workhouses and the differing standards of nutrition together with a facsimile cookbook from 1901.

Comment

Near the school where I work is a hospital which does physiotherapy and other day care stuff, but it used to be the workhouse and a footpath nearby is still called Union Path.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Bedford Rugby Club ground is owned by the House of Industry, a Council-owned charity with obvious origins. The adjacent area is the old North Wing Hospital, which took over the workhouse building. Most or all of the workhouse site has been redeveloped with modern hospital type ancillary service buildings.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
        X