Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Willament in the 1861+ 1881 censuses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Willament in the 1861+ 1881 censuses?

I cannot find John Willament anywhere in the 1861 census, or in the 1881 census
    In 1851 he's in St Luke Old Street, Middlesex, with his family (wife Sarah dies in 1856)
    in 1871 he's sharing accommodation with his brother, Simon Payne Willament, in Woodford, Essex.

There's a death recorded in the indexes of John Clowes Willament in 1884 in Hackney. This is the only mention of the name Clowes in any of the records I've found so far.

The Willament brothers were born in Sandridge, Herts, John in 1802 and Simon in 1803.

I've tried searching the 1861 census using wildcards, looking for John Will* born 5 years either side of 1802 in Hertfordshire, but still can't find him. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thank you.
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Can you give the 1851 reference please? Can't see him!
    Elaine

Comment

Hi! 1851 reference is Class: HO107; Piece: 1523; Folio: 93; Page: 22; GSU roll: 87857.

Thanks!
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Thanks.
        Have you found the two children in 1861?
        Elaine

Comment

Daughter Sophia marries James Rouse in 1856 - she's my gt gt g'ma and I've collected all the records I can for her. But I can't find what happened to Emma.

This family are very confusing: on Sophia's marriage register it says that her father JW was a brass founder, but none of the census entries for the various male Willaments say any of them is a brass founder. I've just found a previously undiscovered John Willament, son of John Willament, whose marriage details in 1848 say that his father is a brass founder.

This family of Willaments seem to move backwards and forwards between Essex and London, and there's another clan who start off in Norfolk in 1841 but have moved to Yorkshire in the 1851 census.

Thanks for any light you can shed!

Comment

I've just found Emma's marriage; both her surname and her husband's had been wrongly transcribed! She married William Thomas Chafer in Islington in on 1st June 1861. I can't find her in the census under either name.

Comment

Originally posted by Somerset Sal View Post
              Thanks for any light you can shed!
              Sorry, not a lot at the moment!
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks for trying! At least I know I'm not missing something obvious...

Comment

Originally posted by Somerset Sal View Post
                  I've just found Emma's marriage; both her surname and her husband's had been wrongly transcribed! She married William Thomas Chafer in Islington in on 1st June 1861. I can't find her in the census under either name.
                  In 1861 she is with her sister Sophia Rouse. Transcribed on Ancestry as Emma Willamut.
                  Elaine

Comment

1871 Emma & William CHAPER
                    RG10; Piece: 493; Folio: 111; Page: 22

I see someone has made a correction to the name on the ancestry transcription. Might be worth contacting in case he is researching the same family.

1881 census
                    RG11
                    ; Piece: 423; Folio: 56; Page: 56;
                    Elaine

Comment

Thank you! I made the correction to the Chaper/Chafer entry today!

Comment

Do you have the death cert for Sarah wife of John whom your looking for? I was wondering if there was an address on it that might help pin him down in the '61 census.
                        WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                          Do you have the death cert for Sarah wife of John whom your looking for? I was wondering if there was an address on it that might help pin him down in the '61 census.
                          No, I haven't - it's one in a long list of certificates I want to buy when the budget allows! Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X