Can you find this family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you find this family?

Frederic Hiles b. 1849 in Swindon is with his family, wife Jane and 5 children in Coulsden London in 1881 (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...=&pid=21479755). I have already found the family in 1871 in Oxford, wife listed as Mary I, but can not find any trace of any of them after 1881. Can anyone find any trace of them whatsoever?

Also can anyone find a birth entry for him (he is not the Frederick Horatio Hiles born in Bristol in 1850).

Thanks.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

1891 Alice elizabeth
    Class: RG12; Piece: 2072; Folio 72; Page 10; GSU roll: 6097182.
    in Leominster Servant b Oxford listed as Alice G Hiles

only one found so far
    Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Class: RG12; Piece: 1280; Folio 112; Page 16; GSU roll: 6096390.

as Hills

names and dates fit occupation slightly different

Karen that family matches with the one I found so looks highly probable
      Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Jayne that does look like her and Karen that is a very interesting possibility. Will take a longer look at that lot. It does look like Hills - I wonder if he changed his name or it is a mistranscription on the enumerators part. There appear to be 2 more children since 1881, so will see if they help to find Frederick in 1891.

Many thanks you two.

Linda
        Linda

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying - the microwave was yelling at me. Jayne that is definitely the same family, and I see that sarah is called Edith Sarah, and I had found an Edith Sarah Hiles born in Oxford which matched in with the 1881 family, so it is looking more as if he changed his name. Now all I need is to see if I can find his birth in Swindon.

Thanks again

Linda
          Linda

Comment

You have done it!! I've been searching for this man for a long time and now I think you've found him. My GG uncle Edward Hiles vanished from censuses after 1871. He was born in Swindon in 1848, but I could find nothing more on him. This Frederick that you have tracked down for me fitted in dob, place of birth and where he lived in 1881 - the rest of the Hiles, a rather large family were all in Oxford. However, I had never found any evidence that Edward had another name. I checked Fredericks marriage on IGI and according to that his father was George Hiles, as was my Edwards. Anyway I have now tracked him on the 1911 census, and he has entered his name as Edward Frederick!! Now I just need to get certificates to confirm. Thanks again for all the help.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

Edward Hiles
              Mar quar
              Highworth Wiltshire

Comment

Yes that's him Val, thanks. I'm so pleased to have finally cracked this as he was the last of my great grandfathers siblings to track down.

Linda
                Linda

Comment

good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X