Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metropolitan police help

Hello all

Can anybody help me or direct me on how I can find any information Austin Topping who was a police constable with the met police ranging from about 1880 onwards.

Any help would be great.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Hi

you will find him on the black sheep index, but you have to pay to see the information

google black sheep index

mm

Comment

Can I assume that he has not been as good I believe? Or is he on there as a police constable?

Thank you by the way.

Danny

Comment

Is there a search on the black sheep index or do you have to go through the alphabet?

Danny

Comment

He has a mention in the Huddersfield Daily Chronicle on 27 Nov 895 - receiving a certificate and award for saving a life at a fire. Taken from the 19th Century British Newspaper Collection.

Do you have access to these - if not let me know and I'll forward the image.
          Elaine

Comment

He was a P.C with Y Division (Holloway) at the time he left 7th May 1896. He Joined the force just over 16 years earlier on 1 March 1880. His warrant number was 64329. That is from his entry in the Register of Leavers which is up on Yourarchives website. There is an image there of the entry if required.

Comment

I was going to suggest the 'Police Orders' Website

You could search by surname ect but they are upgrading their website so no search facility.

Also try here...

Chris
              Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Thank you everybody, all the help is much appreciated.

Danny

Comment

A side story to this thread
                  Did any one see The Antiques Roadshow two weeks ago, where a young lady brought in some china and menus from her Grandfather, who was an ex met police Officer who became bodyguard to George V?

He was one of my Pursgloves and I have a number of Pursgloves who went into the Met from his immediate family line

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

If you have his warrant number - which you do now - you can ask The National Archives (Kew) to send photocopies of his record. You'll have to pay for copying and postage but it could be worth it, if you can't get to Kew yourself.

I have several Met police rellies and the records give their birthdates, last employer before joining the Met, a physical description etc. I also have pension record for one of them telling me how much he got a week, including extra money for working in the docks, for coal, and allowances for 3 children, plus his pension and the address where it was to be paid - which turned out to be his father-in-law's address.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                    X