How to save something on Ancestry - medal index card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to save something on Ancestry - medal index card

Hi just a quick question I found my great grandfathers medal index card but cannot save to my PC. In the option save to my computer I saved it to my desktop but it doesn't appear. Am I doing something wrong?

His name is Robert Solomon Smith regiment number 225348 & 83170

Thanks

Steven

Steven,
    Can you right click on the image and use the "save as" option? You then save it to wherever you want, as well as renaming the file if you want to.
    Elaine

Comment

No Elaine its strange all it says is properties when I try that. Its not the computer as I have saved images on other websites. Just seems to be Ancestry

Steven

Comment

I don't have any problems - can save using the SAVE TO COMPUTER option, or by right clicking and using SAVE AS
        What browser and operating system are you using?
        Elaine

Comment

Windows 7 Elaine- we recently bought a new one and maybe the settings are wrong will have a look at it

Thanks for your help

Steven

Comment

Hi Elaine found it using the search function - I had saved it my desktop (or so I thought) but it must be defaulting to somewhere else

Sorry to have bothered you

Steven

Comment

No problem! Glad you found it.
              Elaine

Comment

Steven,

I have Windows 7 & the same problem. I use the enhanced viewer so that I can slide things around but like you it would not save. I found though that if you go to Options & turn off enhanced viewer & then right click, you get the option to save.
                Glen

Comment

thanks Jackie I had the same problem as Steve the only way I could save them and find them was with googlechrome, but I have just been to that link and should now be able to save them with IE.

Comment

You're welcome Val - hope it works. I use Ancestry UK so that's the one I put as trusted. If you use a different one presumably you have to put that in
                    Jackie

Comment

yes just read that I did have it in my trusted sites but did not realise you only had to put *.ancestry.co.uk nothing else as it does not use https ????
                      I am not too happy with Vista whatever you save seems to disappear? seems to be a common problem.

Comment

Well Val i have just done a test one after following Jackie's link and it didnt work on mine , still saving them to some mysterious temp file that I cant find ;;;sob ;;
                        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          I am not too happy with Vista whatever you save seems to disappear? seems to be a common problem.
                          I've using Vista with Firefox - I can select in the FF options where I want downloaded files to be stored, e.g. desktop, my docs - or ask me each time. Things never disappear!!!
                          I'm sure you must be able to do the same with IE - perhaps someone could advise on this?
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks guys will try some other options tonight. I also cannot print as it says Ancestry is not a trusted site. I tried to put in http but doesn't work but will try again later

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              I've using Vista with Firefox - I can select in the FF options where I want downloaded files to be stored, e.g. desktop, my docs - or ask me each time. Things never disappear!!!
                              I'm sure you must be able to do the same with IE - perhaps someone could advise on this?
                              Val, it's an issue with Protected Mode in Internet Explorer. It's easily resolved by either switching off Protective Mode in Internet Explorer, or by using a different browser (like Firefox or Chrome).

If you search FTF posts for Protected Mode you'll find several threads on this. Here are a couple with a more detailed explanation:

Sarah

Comment

Babs its a nightmare isnt it ?
                                well I did what it said and it now says protected mode is switched off but still I dont get the option to save where I want to?
                                I know it is okay on Googlechrome thanks Sarah but I am not keen on that browser for much its very basic.
                                Steven it says not to put http in? you have to put
                                *.ancestry.com
                                *.ancestry.co.uk
                                etc etc depending on which country you are subscribed to.
                                Thanks Elaine maybe I'll use Firefox again.

Comment

I know it is okay on Googlechrome thanks Sarah but I am not keen on that browser for much its very basic.
                                  Val, why do you think it is too basic? As far as I can see it does all that IE and FF do!
                                  Elaine

Comment

does it ?? maybe I am not using it right then ?? thats quite possible I dont understand a lot of browser options

Comment

well I did what it said and it now says protected mode is switched off but still I dont get the option to save where I want to?
                                      That's strange Val. Did you close IE and re-open it again to activate the change?

I'm not sure what you mean by basic? Chrome does have a "cleaner" interface than IE and Firefox, with just the one "search box" in which you can either enter a website URL or the words you're searching for. Favourites can be added and removed easily by clicking the star icon directly to the left of the search box. The little house icon next to the star takes you back to your home page, and you can view and control more options by clicking on the little page and spanner icons to the right of the search box.
                                      Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                      X