Collins Peerage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collins Peerage

Does anyone know how accurate these books are? I may have found a gateway ancestor for my OH - his 6xGGM was the 3xGGD of William Sydenham of Wynford Eagle, who was the father of William Sydenham, the Cromwellian soldier and his brother Thomas Sydenham the physician. There is a lot about them on the web, and they descend from the Stourton family who are in Collins Peerage. If these books are to be believed, OH can claim descent from both King John and Henry II, by illegitimate lines.

Still a lot of checking to do!

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I would say about as accurate as Burkes Peerage etc, always remembering that most of this stuff is self-reported by the family concerned, who will often manipulate the facts to suit.

Like any other non-primary source, each fact needs independant checks. Having said that, the pedigrees are usually reasonably accurate, as far as can be checked against facts.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - the problem is how would you go about checking facts that far back! :D

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Well, landed gentry usually have left a great deal of paperwork and you can sometimes cross check that way, for example by Wills, land transactions and other "sideways" proof. You will probably never PROVE completely, but sometimes you can prove beyond reasonable doubt...or disprove utterly, which is just as good, lol.

OC

Comment

Working...
        X