Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to access Electoral Rolls for the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to access Electoral Rolls for the UK?

...looking for two brothers who were born 1920'ish

Their sister grew up in a children's home and hadn't realised she had siblings. She is now deceased but her daughter has discoverd the births of the two brothers and wondered how she could go about locating their whereabouts - realising of course that they may have also died. But she is hoping to discover if they had families themselves.

I didn't want to advise her to try Electoral Rolls if they weren't open to public scrunity.
    Your advice would be appreciated
    Thankyou

Hello Val and George, I believe that the pay site 192.com can supply that information but I have never used it.
    best regards

Comment

Hi - "The British Library has the national collection of electoral registers from 1832 to the present day. The collection is complete from 1947 onwards, but patchy before World War 2"

Is it an unusual surname? Do they have addresses at all? Often the local archives can tell who was living at a property if they were eligble to vote. Have they found marriages on FreeBMD etc...
      Last edited by naomiatt; 10-05-10, 10:10.

Comment

Thankyou so much for such prompt replies Pilgrim and Naomi - I will pass that info on to her - Hopefully she will be able to find something positive

Comment

Hi - here's some more - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...gistration.htm
          Sent you a pm as well.

Comment

Electoral Rolls are arranged by address and it is impossible to access historical ones without knowing an address.

OC

Comment

Hi - has your friend looked at FreeBMD etc etc

Comment

You could see if they had died before 2006 using Ancestry if so it gives a birth date, find their birth in the index giving an area, look for a possible marriage find the spouses surname and search for their children . Ancestry also has telephone directories up to the 1980's online . Many older people still have their names listed in the BT Phone Book which can be accessed via BT.com. The list of possiblities goes on. I have found and contacted over 200 former pupils of my infants school attended in the early fifties, and also the family and sister of a cousin killed in WW2.

Personal message me with details if you want more help
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thankyou all again, and Mike - I have pm'd you

Comment

Working...
                  X