Electrol register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrol register

HI i am wondering how and if i can where i can get a copy of the electrol register for Newlyn, Cornwall for 1927/8. I know the exact address i wish to look at but not sure how to go about it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jen

Have you tried contacting the local library, Jennie?

Comment

My local library? They don't order anything in i have tried with other things before and the staff don't know what i am talking about half of the time they now jst give me the keys to the cabinet and let me get on.
      Jen

Comment

No, the local library to the area you're interested in - they should hold the electoral rolls there and should be able to look up the address for you.

Otherwise try that area's county record office.

Comment

Sorry side tracked by a crying baby! Thanks i will try giving them a call tomorrow and see if they can help i am hoping it will hold some answers for me to a question i have been asking myself for the last 4 years!!
          Jen

Comment

The electoral rolls might be in the larger library in the area, and willa lso be at the relevant records office/archive as well as local history centre if there is one.

I've looked at several electoral registers. Some are on microfilm, some are in bound volumes and one I looked at was wrapped in brown paper and virtually disintegrating.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell never got round to it today had a massive long list of jobs to do around the house first and never got all them done let alone make any phone calls, will try and give them a call tomorrow and see if they can help or might see if they have an email so i can email them.
              Jen

Comment

Have emailed 2 libraries so far and has got back to me saying they don't hold the records so fingers crossed the 2nd one is able to help me or point me in the right direction. It is a very very wide stab in the daark at finding out the father of my husbands grandma.
                Jen

Comment

Managed to get a reply today 3rd time lucky. I asked them if they could help me as i wanted to know who lived at a certain address in 1927/8 and they were very helpful and told me who was of legal age to vote in that address and it was the name i thought it should be.
                  What surprised me was this "At this date men had to be 21 and women 30 to vote and you had to have lived in the constituency for a certain period of time and be British or of certain other nationalities"
                  I never realised women had to be 30, i know that there was once when women couldn't vote but didn't realise there used to be an age gap when they could vote.
                  Jen

Comment

Yes - it wasn't until 1928 that women were enfranchised on the same terms as men. The loss of men in WWI and the increased 'freedom'gained by working-class women might have worried the two main parties of the time - the Labour vote might have risen dramatically had women between 21 and 30 been able to vote!

Comment

Thankyou for that information all these little things we learn along the way.
                      It was interesting but now left me baffled as to where to go next and i think my answer is to throw all this in the bin as i don't think there will be an answer!
                      Jen

Comment

Jennie, you asking that question has taught me something too as I thought that when women got the vote that it was on equal terms as men, but now I know that my own mother will not now appear on the electoral register until 1938 so thank you for this info.

Edna

Comment

Women over 30 and married women got the vote before universal suffrage was introduced. It's ridiculous now to realise how long it took for women to be enfranchised in what is often considered the cradle of democracy!
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell. I was actually hoping it would show me something else but i don't know what i am looking for now i thought it was the electrol register but it isn't. I actually wanted to see who lived in the house but i dont think i am going to find that out which brings my search to an end as there is no other way i can think of to find the information i want.
                            Jen

Comment

Working...
                            X