Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Illegitimate Milburn - Is this as far as I can go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegitimate Milburn - Is this as far as I can go?

I'd like your opinions on whether you think it is likely I will be able to get past my 3x g-grandfather who was illegitimate.

I have traced back to Thomas Milburn born c1814 in either Hutton Rudby or Whorlton. http://www.nryonline.co.uk/phpgedvie...7&ged=tree.ged

I found a baptism record which states his mother's name as Mary but no father. When he marries in 1839 and then again in 1856 he lists his father as Thomas Appleton, a farmer but so far I have been unsuccessful in finding anything more than this.

So what do you think? Am I unlikely to find anything else?

TIA

You might find information in the parish records at the relevant county records office about maintenance payments. Most parishes were very keen on getting fathers to pay up for their offspring. Of course Mary might have supported herself or been supported by her family, but its worth a shot, especially as you have a name to go on from the marriage cert.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

And you may find the vicar made a comment in the register which hasn't made it to the transcription.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My own feeling about this is that Thomas Appleton is more likely than not to be his father.

Someone has told him that Thomas Appleton is his father. Generally, if a father's name is complete fiction, say on a marriage cert, the father will have the same surname as the child and always be deceased, lol.

The fact that the surnames are different lends a ring of truth, to my mind - why risk embarrassing questions unless you are sure of the fact of your parentage.

I agree, look for bastardy orders and check the original PR for marginal comments. However, if farmer Appleton cheerily accepted responsibility for Thomas Milburn and his mother then there might not be any record. You could also look for a will for farmer Appleton who may have made some provision for his natural son, they often did.

OC
        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-05-10, 21:45. Reason: Appalling typing.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I had a feeling a trip to Northallerton was going to be needed. I just need to find the time to go! It is one of those family lines that is frustrating because I really would like to find out more but as you have said records were down to the individual person recording the information. I don't hold out much hope but it is certainly something I need to pursue, if only for my own benefit of knowing that really is as far as I can go!

Here's a picture of him and his 2nd wife!

Comment

if you know the mothers name, she may have married thomas appleton after your man's birth, so he may just be a stepfather. my ancestor ran away from home in the 1840's to join the army. he was underage, and his mother dragged him home the first time he enlisted. the next time he used his step father's name, and she couldnt find him. he stayed inn the army, continued using the name, and listed the step father as his father on his marriage cert. i would look for the bap, and see if i could find a mother's remarriage.

Comment

Found this....went on Mapquest and Eston to Hutton Rudby is 15 miles....the only likely on familysearch...but a long shot I admit
              Thomas Appleton born 16th October 1783 in Eston, Yorkshire, a submitted record on IGI......

in the 1881 census it states that Thomas Milburn was born 1816 in Hutton Rudby

abode North End , Hutton Rudby, York, England

Thomas Milburn head Married male 65 Sailcloth Maker Hutton Rudby
              Isabella Milburn wife female 55 Hutton Rudby
              James Milburn son Unmarried male 22 Grocer Hutton Rudby

3 doors away

George Appleton 37
              Mary Appleton 40
              John 13
              Joseph 11
              Herbert 9
              Arthur 6
              Ernest 3
              Albert 3 twin

so maybe Thomas Appleton was a Hutton Rudby local lad after all.....I would think in a small village.......families did become very close....it appears Thomas Milburn never left the village......what do you think ??
              allan
              Last edited by garstonite; 11-05-10, 08:57.
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thank you Allan!!

That is definitely my Thomas Milburn, his son James is my 2xG grandfather. BUT I have never spotted the Appleton family before now! You are right about Hutton Rudby being a small village, my line has many interwoven links and my G-grandparents grew up on the same street and I have 2 sisters marrying 2 brothers etc. so I would not be surprised if the Appletons turned out to be connected at all.

Comment

Working...
                X