Help with Marriage Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Marriage Please

I have a free afternoon and am doing some research.

Jane Unwin was my 6 x G Grandmother. I have found on Family search her baptism but it is submitted. Her parents are John Unwin and Elizabeth Vicars bap 20 Jul 1723 St Marys Nottingham.

There is also a submitted entry for her parents marriage 23 Mar 1716 also St Marys.

Thought I would look into it further and on ancestry there is

John Unwin, a textor, bac, 18 of Nottingham marrying Elizabeth Vicars, spin 21, Nottingham marrying on 23 Mar 1716-17 at Nottingham.

Also

John Unwin and Elizabeth Vicars both of St Marys Nottingham marrying on 21 Apr 1717 at Ossington Notts. This is a small village north of Notts.

What does anyone think of it? Is it the same marriage or have they married twice within a month?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

You may find that you get duplicate entries because some of the dates and places represent dates when banns were read. In this case it looks as if the bride's and bridegroom's banns were read in two different churches.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ

Thats made me think. I have a marriage bond for a different couple and they had a choice of 2 churches. I wonder now whether they married by banns or not or if one of them was originally from Ossington

Thank you
      Lin

Comment

The baptism of Jane Unwin is on feeREG, if you want a transcription rather than an IGI submission. The Ossington marriage is there too (both from the parish of St Mary, Nottingham), so it might be worth hunting around on the site for further leads.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I think the record on Ancestry is the date of the marriage licence (it's from "Abstracts of Marriage Licences").

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I use Frereg a lot but thought it was a bit early for it to be on there.

I will have to make a trip to the archives to find out more but the marriage looks as though it took place in Ossington.
            Lin

Comment

Just to update this thread.

Went to the archives yesterday and they were married at Ossington so now to find out who came from there if any of them.

Didn't have time to check any further as my list of 'to dos' was massive.

Thanks for you help again.
              Lin

Comment

Well done, Lin - we love to hear success stories

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                X