Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 19th Century Tobacconist

Hi,

Would anybody happen to know about the occupation of Tobacconist in 1800-1820's?

In particular, a tobacconist in London, living near the Tower of London, and subsequently, very closely to the Thames.

Would this have been a well paid, lucrative occupation?

Thanks,
    Ryan

I imagine its like a tobacconist today, someone who sold tobacco, possibly pipes and other smoking-related stuff too. I guess how lucrative it was depended on the area they lived in and their client base.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Ptobably a relativerly well-rewarded occupation - everyone smoked or took snuff and so on back then. Tobacconists often served an apprenticeship, which in my family's case, involved time spent abroad on a tobacco plantation.

OC

Comment

Hi Ryan - you might find something in here http://www.historicaldirectories.org.../usingdir4.asp
        Do you have a name and an address?

Comment

I'm watching this thread with interest because OH's great-grandfather was a tobacconist in Whitby and he disappeared from 1841 until 1871 when he reappeared in his home town of Whitby and was married and was called "Master Tobacconist". I would love to know where he went - probably the tobacco plantations, but who knows !
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi Elizabeth and Ryan - have you find anything in the London Gazette?

This is an interesting site http://www.pipe-smokers.org/nostalgi...smoktriv.htmte
            Last edited by naomiatt; 09-05-10, 21:41.

Comment

Working...
            X