Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Devon Births/ Marriages

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post and hope you may be able to help me.
    I'm looking for a marriage between a John Lee b 1792 & Elizabeth ? b 1796 they're on the 1841 Census living at 16, South Hill, Stoke Damerel with their 2 youngest sons Nicholas b 1828 and Benjamin b 1833.
    They have 2 older sons Edwin b 1821 and John Maywood b 1820. John is listed as a Clerk in 1841. In 1851 he's in London at Woolwich Dockyard with a new wife Jane and working as a Clerk H M Dockyard.
    I'd really appreciate your ideas on best way to find the marriage/birth records for them. All the sons give place of birth as Stoke Damerel/Devonport on later census records.
    Any ideas on the local church for South Hill? and where the parish records are now kept?
    Hope this is not too confusing and someone may be able to help me.

Howie

Hi Howie,

I have been looking around a similar area lately and have found nothing online for earlier records.

This link may be of assistance http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/homepage/...urservices.htm

If you click on Family History Indexes on the left, then on Church Registers Index, then Church of England ... Plymouth you will get to the list of Registers for the area you are interested in.

Good luck with your research.

Ice

Comment

Thanks Ice, I'll take a look and let you know how I get on. Howie

Comment

Hi Howie

Have you tried the Devon Family History Society web site?

Regards
        Jill

Comment

There are also quite a number of Online Parish Clerks (OPC) for Devon villages.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Devon FHS does have a CD of parish register entries for the Stoke Damerel, East Stonehouse, & Plymouth churches, for pre-1837 events.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Howie
              From CD (which Christine has just mentioned)

Stoke Damerel
              John LEE married Elizabeth MAYWOOD on 1 May 1814

Baptisms for children of John (occ Clerk in the Dockyard) & Elizabeth,
              their abode for baptisms is either Dock or Devonport

Benjamin Carter LEE 2 Apr 1823
              Edwin LEE 22 Apr 1819
              Elizabeth Jane LEE 31 Mar 1815
              Elizabeth Mary Jane LEE 29 Jun 1825
              John Maywood LEE 15 Aug 1817
              John Maywood LEE 9 Mar 1821 (said to be born 13 Feb 1821)
              Nicholas LEE 12 May 1821

Cheers
              Kerri

Comment

Big thanks to all for your advice and help- specially Kerri from Aus for giving me the info from CD.
                A great success for my 1st post.
                You're a fab bunch of family history addicts!
                Howie

Comment

Working...
                X