BATHIA MELLOR of Crigglestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BATHIA MELLOR of Crigglestone

Can anyone help me with this one please? Bathia Mellor (according to the marriage certificate to John Normington/Normanton) was born in 1843 in Crigglestone Wakefield. She is listed in the 1871 census & after as Bathia Normington, she is listed in the 1861 census as bathia Mellor a Servant at Newmillerdam (the next village away from Crigglestone). Her father on the marriage certificate is listed as John - a Stone mason.
    And there I draw a blank! I can find John "Melloy" - but looks like Mellor in the 1851 census - but no Bathia I have looked in all the 1851 Crigglestone census, but cannot find her at all - either as a Mellor / Melloy
    John Mellor is in Familysearch with the same family as per the census - but again no Bathia

I have no idea where to go with this one - could anyone give me some / any useful pointers?

I did wonder if Bathia is a form of Beth - or Elizabeth

In the 1851 census I did find a Lydia Mellor aged 8 (I realise it is not much like Bathia) and her brother Thomas aged 7mo living with their aunt and uncle - John and Ann Hollinger (a coal miner) in Crigglestone.

Could there have been an accident and they were taken in by their aunt and uncle - who also had a very young family?

Just a thought.........

Comment

there is a Bathia Mellor age 20 in the 1841 census for Crigglestone, but that's not much help

Having just read the replies to your same query on British-Genealogy.com forum I feel I have been wasting my time
      Last edited by Mike Fisher; 08-05-10, 13:19.
      Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
      http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Snap Mike
        just found that one. She could be the mother of Bathia born 1843. If Bathia had no father she could have invented one or John (stone mason) may have been her grandfather.
        Moggie

Comment

I cannot even find her birth ????? did you ??

Comment

Thanks for the help - yes I posted on the B-G forum - I have tried everything ! I too think that the John and Ann are perhaps her parents - but she would only have been 8. I also found Lydia - but even with a soundex I can't get it to do anything like Bathia. I have tried using B*t* and Mell*, Mill* etc etc
            I cannot find her birth - I have gone on the GRO and looked at every Mellor from about 1839 in case she didn't know her birth date and again cannot find anything remotely like a Bathia - I have tried Mellard, I have tried just Bathia to see if anything comes up - I have gone through every name on the 1851 census for Crigglestone just to see if she was anywhere else - but again can only come up with Lydia.
            I thought with Bathia being so unusual I would strike lucky - but no - I truly have no idea what to do / where to go next!

Comment

talking of unusual names I have a Sheba and and there isn't one Sheba on GR only Bathsheba's and I know she was definitely Sheba .

Comment

I have a Bathia, who was also a Barbara depending on which childs baptism you looked at
                Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Do you think she could have been in hospital or in a workhouse somewhere? I just find it unusual that at 7 or 8 she isn't living with her parents - although she could well be the Lydia (the niece) staying somewhere else? I'll try Barbara as a soundex as Ozzie suggested - just in case
                  Though next question - which hospital / workhouse would she have been in - Wakefield?
                  I have found 2 of my Kellaway ancestors in one aged 8 and 10 so I suppose it is possible?

Comment

she may only be listed under her initials if in a Workhouse ?? have you tried that ?

Comment

I have since found a Mary Mellor aged 35 who was a servant - I wonder if she was her mum & farmed her out? still doesn't help I can't find her ............

Comment

I found her!!

Many thanks to all who gave pointers - I have sat & gone through the whole of the GRO and finally found her (I hope) Bethiah Mellard b 1842 Oct - Dec

Just need a trip to the Registry office to pick up the certificate now.........

one happy person

Comment

how fantastic Tracey I hadnt thought to check there but thinking about it have found somebody there but not on ancestry or anywhere else ?
                          Be interested to know what it says for her parents.

Comment

Hi Val
                            I looked on Ancestry in the index and soundex and she wasn't there - so still using Ancestry I went on the index and OK it is painstaking but she is there all the same - wonder if this has not been transcribed yet (or transcribed wrong) Even going back to the index with the right name she still does not show
                            The register office for wakefield is only 2 miles away so I can go at lunchtime and pick it up

I also found my gg grandfather Thomas Scawthorne that way - he does not appear on any index for the census - but sifting through the actual census itself - there he was!

Comment

it is odd isnt it ???? its the same with the census records sometimes I find it on FMP but even with the census number cannot find it on Ancestry and even when I do quite often they have spelt something differently .

Comment

re the census, if you trace 'lydia' forwards, you may be able to find if she dissapears or is a separate individual. i have an aunt lorraine, who isnt on the 1901 census, but there is a lavinia in the right place, right age. there is no birth at all for a lavinia in the time frame, and no marriage or deaths either, so logical conclusion she is lorraine.

Comment

Working...
                                X