Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos disappeared Hard Drive help

I have some photos somewhere in my pc which I cannot find
    I have heard that once you have things on it they are there forever even though you may not find them ??? usually on your Hard Drive ?
    Is that true and are there any suggestions on finding these ????

Do you have Picasa on your computer. You can do a full scan of your computer and it will pick up every image that you have.
    Elaine

Comment

hi Elaine and thanks ,I did do that but it did not find them ??? does that mean they are lost forever then ????

Comment

If the full scan of Picasa isn't picking them up then you have probably accidentally deleted them at some stage.
        There are file recovery programs available but I really don't know anything about them.
        Elaine

Comment

how do I know if Picasa is doing a full scan Elaine ???? or does it do it automatically ? thanks

Comment

You could try recuva to find your deleted files click here even though you have deleted a picture this program may be able to get them back
            Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              how do I know if Picasa is doing a full scan Elaine ???? or does it do it automatically ? thanks
              It depends how you have set up Picasa. I set mine up to do an initial full scan, and then it just updates with any new images I have added since the last time I opened the program.

To do a full scan I think you need to reset everything manually - I can't see a quick way of doing it!

Go to FILE, select ADD FOLDER TO PICASA
              You will then get the FOLDER MANAGER box appear, with a directory listing on the left hand side of all your folders, e.g. My Docs, My Pictures etc. and on the right are the options to SCAN ONCE / REMOVE FROM PICASA / SCAN ALWAYS

I think you are going to have to go through your full directory listing, opening up the My Docs, My Pictures folders - and mark each subfolder as SCAN ALWAYS - so it will look something like this:

It should then do a full scan of any folder/sub folder you have asked it to.
              Elaine

Comment

I have had success recovering deleted photos with eDATA Unerase, works well to recover .jpg files
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

have downloaded that thanks Roy and I doubt I will see anybody before xmas as it found 51007 files gulp .
                  Will be trying yours next Mike and Elaines thanks

Comment

just had the shock of my life I closed recuvva down and all my stuff went from this pc ??? everything even the internet???????
                    All my folders were empty ??????????????????? no photos no system recovery nothing, had trouble logging off .
                    After a few tries got it all back but I would like to know what happened .

Comment

Hello Val,

What are you up to now? I may have told you that when I lost my photographs many years ago I was using an Adobe sample disk for 30 days. Time ran out and I could not recover my images at the time. This was because I had not saved them as jpg/jpeg.

When I did as Elaine has described I recovered most of them but did have to change the phs. to jpeg/jpg. (not sure phs. is correct but I am sure you know what I mean).

Try again I am sure you will find them if you had deleted them they would have gone into your recycle bin so you would have had a second chance to save them. Don't forget to also use the search 'C' in Windows and think up as many titles to search for as possible. ie. Aunt Mary on holdiay! or A Barbecue on a Winters Day in May! or a known date what ever you used to name your folders by.
                      Last edited by Margaret N; 08-05-10, 18:39.
                      Margaret N
                      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

thanks Margaret will try that too ,but I dont think they had names as such ,they were sent to me by somebody who has now lost the originals so was hoping to give them back to her .
                        Glad the site is back up and running .

Comment

Val - were these sent to you by email? If so are you sure you opened the attachments and saved the images to your hard drive?
                          If you didn't save them - and have deleted the email - then I don't think you've got much chance of finding them!!
                          Elaine

Comment

ah now you mention it Elaine I wouldn't have done that no, I think I will have to admit defeat then thanks again.

Comment

Val,

Pleased you mentioned that you were glad the site was back up and running. I tried in vain to get on the site again last night. All I got was Internet Explorer cannot show the page. Then talktalk put a message box up and tried to repair the link. All that happened then was that they removed both themselves and google from my PC and left me with my old Virgin email address and Virgin Home Page.
                              All the Virgin material is totally cleared from this PC and I cannot see a trace of it anywhere. Yes funny things have been going on and IE7 is a real problem. PC World told me to avoid IE8 and wait for IE9.
                              I thought of FireFox but it all looks a muddle to me and I cannot see how I will be able to continue with a Google Home Page and view my GMail.
                              I have just looked back your earlier post and forgot that the photographs were with your email so maybe they have been deleted. I remember a few years ago you helped me out by returning one that I lost.

Good luck, just going to try and get warm while we have Global Warming.
                              Last edited by Margaret N; 09-05-10, 15:27.
                              Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Margaret,

I use Firefox with Google as my home page, and one of my gmail accounts showing on the home page when I log in.
                                If you want to download Firefox then I'm quite happy to help you set it up with a google home page!

Alternatively have you tried Chrome - it's very similar to IE - but seems to be quicker.

I've also got IE8 on my computer and can honestly say I have never had any real problem with it, other than it is very slow - which is why I use Firefox!
                                Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine,
                                  Hope you are warmer than I am at this moment - I am freezing. Thank you for your kind offer to help me if need be to set up Firefox I will download it again and take a serious look at it.
                                  When I first downloaded Firefox (unistalled it later) I was not quite clear if it was a Search Engine in its own right and the same for Chrome. I presume that I would be able to unistall IE 7 and not loose my Windows Mail as I read it.
                                  Everyone is talking G Chrome and in the early days I thought that it was very invasive on my PC not that I have anything of great importance.
                                  Will take a look at it all later today.
                                  Margaret N

Comment

It's warming up nicely here!

No reason at all to uninstall IE7. I have IE8, Chrome and Firefox installed on my computer and there is no conflict between any of them.
                                    The installation of these does not affect Windows Mail in any way.
                                    Elaine

Comment

If you are looking for images on your hard drive, but don't know the file names, just the file types - do this. To search amongst jpegs, do a search for *.jpg This will bring up all the jpegs. *.bmp will find all the bitmaps. Similarly, *.doc will find all your documents, and so on.

Once you group together the appropriate files, an additional search under 'date modified' and 'date taken', may also be of help.
                                      http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/4330

Comment

thanks for that Dave will see if it works

Comment

Working...
                                        X