Any thoughts appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts appreciated

I have a wooden biscuit barrel with a shield on the front engraved with the words...Presented to A.G Glasspool on his marriage by the congregation of St. Johns Hollington., which is in Sussex

The only A. Glasspool I have is my Great Grandfather, I have his birth and marriage certificates, he married twice, and it only has the one christian name Albert on each certificate.

Also he married for the second time, in 1912, at St. Leonards Church near Hastings, Sussex, I am wondering if this is the right person I am connecting this biscuit barrel with.

I am wondering why the congregation of St. Johns would present him with this, surely if you had enough connections with the church you would have married there??

I have looked through all other marriages in the area of the church and can't find anyone called Glasspool

Any thoughts appreciated

Linda

Perhaps his bride insisted on marrying in her own church?
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

You should find out where his wives come from thats more likely where he got married. He could have returned to his home town to live after the weddings.

Comment

He got married in Rye the first time, where his wife was born. Then they moved to Hawkhurst in Kent. When his wife died he was living in Hastings. His second wife Louisa Lansdell was born in Hawkhurst and also had moved to Hastings she was a spinster when she married Albert in 1912 aged 56. He was 57

They may have know each other in Hawkhurst as Albert owned a drapers shop there. My Grandad was born there as well

Linda

Comment

Google maps show 10 places called Hollington, including the one in Sussex you mention and also 3 in Kent. Do you have any other information that links the barrel to the Sussex one?
          Margaret

Comment

In 1911 Albert was living in Sedlescombe Road in St Leonards,a short distance away from St Johns Church in the suburb of Hollinton in St Leonards. Louisa was living further down into the town of St Leonards on Mazes Hill near to the St Leonards Church. Therefore I think it likely that this was Louisas church where they married, but Albert was involved at St johns.

Linda

P.S. Louisa was the housemaid (aged 52) at St Leonards Lodge - a 26 room house. She must have been busy!
            Last edited by ozgirl; 08-05-10, 00:15.
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
            X