Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burial register marginal note.

Any theories on this?

The burial of Sarah Chandler at Sutton, Sussex 29 Jan 1865 aged 89 has a marginal note "see p45 number 357" which turns out to be the burial of Sarah Sockett aged 94 on 24 Feb 1871, the Sockett entry has a reference number referring back to the Chandler burial with no further explanation of why.

The same grave perhaps??

Comment

It's the only note of its type in the whole register from 1813-1895. (The Rector at the time is also called Sockett but that's prob a red herring)

Comment

Just found Sarah Sockett in 1861, she's the Rector's mother! Grave sharing unlikely then as I think the Chandler burial is OH's ancestor born Sarah Harwood who had a string of children while unmarried then married a Chandler & had some more.

Comment

Have you found any connection between the two women, apart from both being called Sarah??!!

Comment

None at all, I've just started on OH's Harwoods, his and mine come from the same village and it's all one big tangle at the moment.

Comment

It will be interesting if you find a connection between your two families then...

Comment

Well I know we are connected as OH's brother has done their tree and I've done mine and we have a common ancestor, John Harwood b1669 in Pulborough (Dicole on here shares him too) but as I've never seen OH's brother's tree I thought I'd better start getting chapter & verse myself & got sidetracked on this little conundrum.

Comment

As OH and me are from different parts of the country chances are pretty remote that we are related (other than marriage!), although it's highly probably that his 3x great uncle was present in church when 2 of my 2x great aunts were baptised :D

Anyway, back to the chase...

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                    As OH and me are from different parts of the country chances are pretty remote that we are related (other than marriage!), although it's highly probably that his 3x great uncle was present in church when 2 of my 2x great aunts were baptised :D

Anyway, back to the chase...
                    You could be in for a surprise!
                    My mother met my father in Northumberland, when she went to work in the town where he'd always lived.
                    After their marriage & his discharge from the army at the end of WW2, they took up residence in my mother's native village in East Yorkshire.
                    Since doing my tree, I've found they both had roots in Norfolk - in 1870, a Dodman on my father's tree married a Mickleborough on my mother's tree.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                    X