what a "YEOMAN"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what a "YEOMAN"

on my great * 7 grandad was Nathaniel Woodcock born 1704 In Wybunbury in Cheshire(near Over)father William.on his death in 1750 his occupation was down as YEOMAN what is this occupaion??
    also looking for infomation on his father Willia Woodcock dont know any thing about him
    Dom

A gentleman farmer. There's a song "The Yeomen of England".
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

if he was agentleman farmer could i find out more on him ?? and if so were ??
      would the Gentleman title have been given him ?
      Dom

Comment

Not so much a title, more that he didn't personally muck out the cows or plough the fields.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

ok thanks
          just need to find more on his dad them William Woodcock born 1680ish? Cheshire
          Dom

Comment

I was GOING to say, you lucky thing, having Yeomen farmers in Cheshire because there is an excellent Wills site for Cheshire.

However, I've just had a look and there is no Will for any Nathaniel Woodcock. This is odd, if he really was a Yeoman. How have you come by the information that he was a Yeoman? Do you know exactly where he farmed?

You might want to look at the cheshire wills online site anyway as some of the other Woodcocks might ring a bell with you.

OC

Comment

Have you looked at the tithe maps of Cheshire?
              You can search via Chester record office on line or Google tithe maps in Cheshire.
              If it's to be, it's up to me.
              Searching for:
              English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                I was GOING to say, you lucky thing, having Yeomen farmers in Cheshire because there is an excellent Wills site for Cheshire.

However, I've just had a look and there is no Will for any Nathaniel Woodcock. This is odd, if he really was a Yeoman. How have you come by the information that he was a Yeoman? Do you know exactly where he farmed?

You might want to look at the cheshire wills online site anyway as some of the other Woodcocks might ring a bell with you.

OC
                Nathenail died 1750 bird in cheshisre(wynburny area) and on a cheshire site i use it state on death occupation YEOMAN
                can you give methe web address for the cheshire wils please as lots of my woodock line came from that arae
                Dom

Comment

Try this.

I have used this site many times as I have Cheshire ancestors and the service/price is excellent.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X