My Brick Wall - Mezey CLIVE b.1805 Wednesfield, Wolverhampton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Brick Wall - Mezey CLIVE b.1805 Wednesfield, Wolverhampton

I hope you kind folks don't mind my first question being my biggest problem!

I have good evidence that Mezey is my direct ancestor through many documents, but am well and truly stuck at him.

I have a couple of routes I could go down as follows,

Father John Clive b 1781 sutton coldfield, mother Elizabeth. His siblings in that case would probably be Samuel b.1801, John b.1810, and Emma b.1820. There are several trees on ancestry where I do most of my research who have this combination but there is no evidence on any of them and I think they are possibly all copied from one another.

Having said that it could be correct because Emma and John were baptised at St Peters church in wolverhampton and on her record it says fathers occupation is 'Box Iron maker', which is what Mezey and Samuel were later in their lives. I can find no baptism for Mezey or any spelling anything like it.
    There are other children by a John and Elizabeth but the surname is Cleeve or Cleve which were not uncommon mispellings but I haven't included them in my tree for lack of evidence. Interestingly though a couple of possible siblings names appear in Mezeys family, including Eleanor, Ann, and John.

Plus on the 1851 census, John b.1810 and his family are living next door to Mezey and his family in Great Berry Street, Wolverhampton and Samuel and his, just up the street.

On the other hand, Mezey is a very unusual first name, and although it is mispelt and mistranscribed many times in records I believe that this is the correct spelling.
    I have just returned to my home in Spain having spent many hours in the Worcester archives office tracking various Clives, Cleves, Cleeve and Cleeves, mostly because there is another Mezey Clive (Cleeve on the parish record) on the IGI born in 1784 in Old Swinford. Sadly that one died in 1787.
    His father Elijah was baptised at Old Swinford in 1758 and had parents whose names were recorded as Mezey and Elizabeth Cleve. Elijah was a pain because he was married Cleeve and died Clive!

One of my Mezey's sons, William, also seems to have misnamed one of his children 'Mazey', because that is how it was spelt on his baptism record.

Confused? I know I am!

Both lines seem to have their merits for being my ancestors and for all I know they may be connected, but I am missing the one vital link and piece of evidence to sort this out once and for all.....Mezeys parents.

Anyone out there got any fresh ideas? I'm stumped.....

Sorry my first question is so long and complicated, but it's the one that drives me crackers the most.

Regards
    Les Clive
    Researching my family with the surname Clive, and variations/mispellings Clives Cleve, Cleves, Cleeve, Cleeves from the Worcestershire and Wolverhampton areas. Especially various Mezey Clive characters!

Welcome Les to FTF.
    Aren't unusual names frustrating, you think it will be easy because there won't be many of them to discount - my husband has an ancestor named Bilby Farrow which has been fun to research !

Anyway, back to your problem - Mezey. Spelling consistency did not seem to bother anyone too much before the late 1800s, whoever wrote a name down, wrote as they thought it should be written. Even the same vicar spelled a name differently for different baptisms in the same family. Even Wiilliam, who named his child Mazey, might have actually meant Mezey, but the vicar or curate recorded it "incorrectly" - parish registers are no more or less accurate than civil certificates, I would not take them as absolute.

As for Mezeys parents, perhaps you can try to see if John Clive and Elijah Cleeve/Clive left a will which might have named their children.

I like the Box Iron Maker occupation being in the family, I have whole generations of blacksmiths and carpenters where everyone in the family was in the same trade. Perhaps you should look further at any siblings of John and Elijah and also their children, sometimes witnesses to marriages can provide a vital clue too.

Good luck

Diane
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

How about this one?

Meazey Cleeves, baptised at St. Peter's Wolverhampton on 4th November 1804, son of John and Elizabeth.

Comment

Not bad!!
        I had looked at this site months ago when I hadn't realised the surname as well as the first name could be so far away from what I thought it should be, and hadn't seen that entry at all. It's certainly the right time and place. I think that is one original record I will have to be making a note of to see on my next visit back to England.

Maybe the Worcestershire Mezey Cleeve(s) are nothing to do with my direct tree at all.....

Thank you very much Mary from Italy, I've got some more research to do!

Regards from Les in Spain
        Researching my family with the surname Clive, and variations/mispellings Clives Cleve, Cleves, Cleeve, Cleeves from the Worcestershire and Wolverhampton areas. Especially various Mezey Clive characters!

Comment

Wall knocked down!

Well that's a good start to my membership!! Just shows what a fresh pair of eyes can do.

My Mezey Clive was recorded as Meazey Cleeves, (and I thought I'd seen all of the mispellings and variations!) which has linked my two bits of tree together and all of a sudden I'm back from 1804/5 in Wolverhampton to 1717 in Old Swinford Worcestershire!!
          Thank you very much for that Mary from Italy and Diane

By the way Diane, I've already found more than a couple of extra box iron makers amongst the extended family....

Regards

Les

Comment

Well done, Les

Comment

Working...
            X