Lord Chancellors Instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord Chancellors Instrument

I've come across a HO file in the UK Archives for a person born in 1899. The coverage year is 1948.
    "Lord Chancellor's Instrument LCI 171 - Series containing both closure and accelerated opening instruments -
    (Contains sensitive personal information which would substantially distress or endanger a living person or his or her descendants - closed for 100 years.)
    Has anybody come across Lord Chancellor's Instrument LCI 171 before, and any idea what it could mean?

never heared of these records, they sound gruesome dont they?

joyce

Comment

Yes, they do. Intriguing isn't it. I've seen files that are closed before, but not worded with LC1 171. I wondered if it was something to do with
      WW11, espionage or something like that...or, as you said, something quite gruesome..

I found - Lord Chancellor's Instrument
      A legal instrument whereby the Lord Chancellor (exercising powers under the Public Records Acts 1958 and 1967) reduces or extends the statutory 30-year closure period of a public record. Since the Freedom of Information Act came into force on 01 January 2005, this is now redundant.
      Last edited by naomiatt; 02-05-10, 23:42.

Comment

Yes The Lord Chancellor's Instruments were used to extend the disclosure periods of records.
        Such as the Lord Chancellor's Instrument No. 12 of 1966 which established the 100 year embargo on census records.

Incidentally the National Archives have again made an error in the the relevant part of the Freedom of Information Act came in 2 months after the passing of the Act in 2000 (section 87(2)) not five years after.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks for that Guy....do you think it is possible to find the meaning for no 171..or does it seem like it's relevant to that particular person?

Comment

Working...
          X