Turner/Spink/Cranage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turner/Spink/Cranage

I'm new to all of this so if I do something wrong I appologise now. Can anyone help? My grandma told me that her mother was born 1868 in Castleford Yorks with the name of Margaret Turner. On her marriage cert 1887 to Henry Cranage it states her name as Margaret Spink fathers name James Spink. Grandma also said that she was illigitiment and her mother took her to the city of York where her mother married to whom I do not know.After Margaret's marriage she lived in Walsall Staffordshire now West Midlands until her death in 1938.

Have you found Margaret Turner on the census, prior to marriage?
    Elaine

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Chris. You're doing just fine. Just to check, do you have all the other certificates (e.g. births, which have parents' names on them) to prove you've got to the correct marriage? And have you found the various people in the 1901 census?
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Can't find either Spink or Turner born in Castleford or York at that time give or take 5yrs . On the 1891 and the 1901 census she gives placeof birth as York

Comment

Chris, who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate and what is James Spink's occupation?
          Elaine

Comment

H Elaine,
            The witnesses are Frederick Nicholson and Kate Rodgers and James is down as a Labourer
            Last edited by chris y; 02-05-10, 20:16. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by chris y View Post
              H Elaine,
              The witnesses are Frederick Nicholson and Kate Rodgers and James is down as a Labourer
              ... so not very helpful then! :(
              Elaine

Comment

There is a birth for Margaret Spink Dec 1867 at Tadcaster 9c 623. 1871 census has her as Grand daughter to Phoebe Spink at Aberford which is about 8 miles from Castleford and in the Tadcaster reg area. 1881 she is down as a visitor with a couple named Klein,both from Germany and still has birthplace as Aberford.
                No further sightings on 1891 as Margaret Spink! 1871 RG10/4737-15-22
                1881 RG11/4721-142-11

Comment

Thanks Tony saw that but not at all sure will have to keep looking

Comment

Could it be that Margaret was born a Spink (as per Tony's post) and her mother later married a Turner. Phoebe Spink had a daughter Sarah who could have been Margaret's mother and there is a marriage of a Sarah Spink to James Turner in Leeds in 1873. I would certainly think it worthwhile getting Margaret Spink's birth certificate and if her mother does turn out to be Sarah then look into the possible marriage. It could be that Margaret gave her stepfather's name (James) on her marriage and it was assumed that his surname was the same as Margaret's.

Jane

Comment

Working...
                    X