Looking for an overseas death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an overseas death

I've found my G Grandfathers death on the Familysearch site but, when i look on the familyrelatives site - i can't find it to get the ref No i need to get the cert.
    Does the Find my past site have the same info.......
    I was looking for the d for Augustine Ansboro who died aged 62 on the 13/12/1916 in Jubbulpore India.
    Jacky

Overseas BMDs are available to few on the Family Relatives website, free of charge.
    Familyrelatives.com New Subscription packages - ONE YEAR SUBSCRIPTION - search your family tree and family history using Census, BMD indexes, Overseas Records, Scottish records, Medical Records, Military Records, School Registers, USA records datasets online
    Elaine

Comment

I've had a look there, Elaine, i can't see it - i was wandering if Find my Past has more info....
      Jacky

Comment

I think you will find that the index is the same on both sites.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks
          Jacky

Comment

The overseas index is a patchwork of bits from all over the place, so you need to understand what you are looking at.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes UJ, most of my research is overseas, i'v found most of what i have on the family relatives site and the LDS....I was wandering if the find my past site had any more to offer. I think i might join the FMP because my Ancestry has run out now anyway...
              Jacky

Comment

Jacky - there is currently a 20% discount offer on FMP - I'll find the thread for you.
                Elaine

Comment

I've found it, Elaine - i'll have a go here now - i'll get the 1911 census too

Thank you
                  Jacky

Comment

Oops, not quick enough. Got distracted elsewhere!!
                    Elaine

Comment

Hi Jacky

Good old Augustine has brought us together again - ha ha

I think if you go back to the Family Search source of this record - it is not from overseas deaths registered with the GRO - but from local parish registers and records etc from India. There was no requirement to register deaths "officially" with the GRO if they took place in those red coloured outposts of Empire where at the time local records were considered adequate

Have a look at the FS explanation of the rcords here - https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Ind..._Records_Index

And the contents of the original LDS film they were taken from here - http://www.familysearch.org/eng/libr...&columns=*,0,0

It looks as though the original records could well be with the British Library - India Office

You'll get to the bottom of it eventually!!

Cheers
                      Sue

Comment

I've found some Indian burials among the new familysearch records which aren't registered among the Overseas Deaths and don't appear on either the India Office or Fibis sites.

You could try getting the LDS microfilm, but it may not contain any more information.

The new Australian records also all seem to be baptisms or burials, not civil registration records.

Comment

Thanks Sue and Mary.

I can't believe the info i have gathered on the familysearch site, a lot of my great aunts/uncles children married into the French.......i'll be in some other country next....Lol

I've had some certs from the BL but, they are £18 each - i'll ask them if they have Augustine's - this is the one i really want.
                          Jacky

Comment

Do they have a lot of records that aren't on the India Office website, then?

And do their certs contain more information than is on the record on the familysearch site?

Comment

No more info Mary, if you PM me your email addy, i will send you mine to have a look at.

They are a thin card/paper with a red seal on.
                              Jacky

Comment

Thanks very much for the offer, but there's no need - if there's no additional information it isn't really worth getting the certs, because the people I'm interested in aren't direct ancestors, only siblings. I was hoping to find a cause of death, but it's evidently going to remain a mystery.

Comment

Trying hard to follow what is happening here, I have found a death of Gt Gmother in India 31st Aug 1878 in Allahabad and for the first time in years I have a breakthrough, are you saying that I have no further way of progressing on this info, I have found a possible death of her husband, and births/baptisms of her children/grandchildren, is there no way I can proceed.

Edna

Comment

I was wanting the ref numbers Edna, so i could send off to the GRO for the certs, the familysearch site dosen't have him on it...
                                    Last edited by Tilly Mint; 04-05-10, 19:48. Reason: mistake
                                    Jacky

Comment

Working...
                                    X