urgent help needed computer crashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent help needed computer crashed

my computer went off and now i have lost all my origanal settings,my start up page,all my short cuts ,all my fav.im having to do everything from scratch can i retreave it i tried a system restore it didnt do it.thank you brenda xxx

Hi Bren,
    I'm not a computer expert so can't really help much.
    However, what I would say is that if your computer has crashed it is probably down to one of two things - either a faulty component or some sort of virus.
    I would start by ruling out a virus by doing a full scan to see if anything is found.

Hopefully someone with more expertise than me will be along later to help!
    Elaine

Comment

you could try other restore points to see if they work.

If not you could try last known configuration that worked

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852
      Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

some friend looked at it at something tried to install on it why i dont know as i have a panda security.
        he also thinks it may be my moniter but its only2 year old flat screen.got it back and now and then my mouse freezes i need a new computer but i wont be geting one lol brenda xx

Comment

Well at least its working, no anti-virus or anti-malware is 100%

I would suggest if you have not got them to download

1. Malwarebytes Clickhere and select the free version.

2. Superantispyware click here and again select the free one.

Update then regularly they will remove most nasties.

Most important and a lot of people are guilty of not doing this, is to backup your data.

you can even backup your favourites.

Not sure about your mouse check the battery if it uses one if not clean the ball rollers
          Regards Roy

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

roy how do i back up my data....and what do i do if its ever needed....sorry but im not that up lol brenda xxx

Comment

Hi brenda.

There are many ways of backing up your data.

1. simple way would be to copy your files to a dvd disk, usually copying my documents which probably contains most of the files you want to protect. You would need to do this on a regular basis and clearly marked to when and what it is.

2. You could purchase an external hard drive, fairly cheap to buy and simply plugs into a usb port. again you would copy over to this drive the files you want to protect.

3. The above methods will retain and save your data from being lost forever,but will not save your program files and setting from being lost.

4. There is a program which will make images of your entire system on a regular at intervals, best if this is done to an external drive.
              So if you get a virus that corrupts your system
              If you mess up your computers settings

Simply select the the date of the image, and your computer is restored to the image taken at that time, I would highly recommend this software for piece of mind. Don't confuse this with system restore as it is unreliable as you have experienced.

Click here
              Regards Roy

Comment

thankyou wil print this off brendaxxx

Comment

Roy,

Is BELARC ADVISOR suitable in some way to save my settings? It seems to have so much information in it and takes so long to run.
                  Margaret N
                  DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Margaret

belarc builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, ...
                    Basically provides information about your pc, useful ;but won't save/restore your settings

The program i have previously suggested will do that and much more, one of the best backup /restore software programs available.

What settings are you concerned about?
                    Regards Roy

Comment

Originally posted by rbere View Post
                      Well at least its working, no anti-virus or anti-malware is 100%

I would suggest if you have not got them to download

1. Malwarebytes Clickhere and select the free version.

2. Superantispyware click here and again select the free one.

Update then regularly they will remove most nasties.

Most important and a lot of people are guilty of not doing this, is to backup your data.

you can even backup your favourites.

Not sure about your mouse check the battery if it uses one if not clean the ball rollers

Roy have clicked on the links above the one for superantispyware is the same as malware one ???
                      do you have the link for the superantispyware one please ;;
                      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
                        Roy have clicked on the links above the one for superantispyware is the same as malware one ???
                        do you have the link for the superantispyware one please ;;
                        apologies should have checked the links before posting click here choose the free one
                        Regards Roy

Comment

Thanks Roy , I have stored that link now , my Kasparsky finnishes in August and if I carnt see decent deal for it will use them that you said ;;already have Malwarebytes anti malware already on machine so would be just the other to download ;;
                          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
                            Thanks Roy , I have stored that link now , my Kasparsky finnishes in August and if I carnt see decent deal for it will use them that you said ;;already have Malwarebytes anti malware already on machine so would be just the other to download ;;
                            When your Kasparsky runs ou you will still need an antivirus program, superantispyware and malwarebytes are stand alone programs for spyware/malware

If your looking for a free antivirus with with a highly rated perfomance try avira..................click here download the free on with the red button
                            Regards Roy

Comment

Working...
                            X