Devon to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon to Canada

Florence Jane GILBERT was born on the 29th April 1893 in Devonport (now part of Plymouth) Devon. I cannot find a marriage or death for her and my Dad cannot remember an Auntie Florence. I think she emigrated to Canada. I have found a Florrie GILBERT of the right age emigrating in 1912 from Liverpool to Montreal, although my Dad thinks she settled in Ontario. My Grandmother also emigrated but returned. My Father remembers Cousins coming over from Canada to fight in WW11 and visiting their Grandmother whilst here. If anyone has Ancestry Canada would they see if there is a marriage for Florence/Florrie GILBERT for me please it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Regards
    Jill

Difficult there's 3 possibles in Ontario but each have a different middle name

Florence May Gilber to Fred Arnold on 4th May 1916 at Wentworth
    Florence A Gilbert to Thomas M Grant 25 September 1923 at Leeds
    Florence Myrtle Gilbert to James Marshall 6 June 1923 Hastings

The others are before 1912.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thank you JBee I doubt if it is any of the ones you listed as she was Florence Jane.

Thanks again for looking.

Regards
      Jill

Comment

Hi Jill - it could be that she married in Quebec....seems that quite a few did and then eventually moved out to Toronto.

Comment

There are some useful Canadian genealogy sites online - some with useful free info, and including census data. Have you looked in the Wiki, at all, for links?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No I haven't Christine thank you I will take a look.

Jill

Comment

Have you found your gm in here http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/l...p?Language=eng
              Perhaps Florence was with them at some stage before your gm returned to the UK...

There is this marriage - not sure if it's your Florence..
              Marriages Dec 1922
              Ball Sydney J Endscott Plymouth 5b 676
              Ball Sydney J Gilbert Plymouth 5b 676
              Endacott Florence J Ball Plymouth 5b 676
              GILBERT Florence J Ball Plymouth 5b 676

Did the family remain in the Plymouth area?
              Last edited by naomiatt; 02-05-10, 03:58.

Comment

Thank you for the link but unfortunately I didn't find anything, but I will look again later.

I have recently received the Wedding Certificate for Florence Gilbert/Endscott and Sydney Ball. Unfortunately not the right Florence which is what sent me looking for her in Canada again. This Florence was married and Divorced hence the two surnames and her Father was Albert and not Henry.

I don't think she stayed in Plymouth as I cannot find her anywhere and my Dad cannot remember an Auntie Florence or any mention of a Florence although he did know that two of my Grans Sisters emigrated to Canada and didn't return as my Gran did.

Thanks again for your help.

Jill

Comment

Hi - have you found the two others sisters in Canada? Did all the sisters travel out together? If so, you would have expected Florence to be with them. Any obit's for them...sometimes, family members would be named.
                  Another poss is that Florence used the name of Jane, or Flo, Flossie etc etc....

Comment

My Gran travelled alone as I have found her going out and returning. If the Florence Gilbert 1912 emigrating is the right one then she was also alone. I cannot find another possible Sister who emigrated. One Sister married in Devonport and was widowed young and childless three years later, whether she emigrated for a few years and returned also I don't know yet.

I have a photo of their Mother on a postcard on which she has written on the back to my Gran asking if she received the books she sent as it would while away the time, her Sisters found it very helpful. So I am assuming three of them did emigrate. Unfortunately the photo is not addressed or dated.

I have looked for Flossie etc but had not thought of Jane I will give that a try. My Husbands great aunts and uncles also emigrated to Canada and one of them changed religions on marrying a Roman Catholic and also changed her first name so that is a possibility also.

I would love to find out what happened to Florence as she is the only member of my Grans large family unaccounted for thank you for your help naomiatt.

Jill

Comment

For what its worth I have recently found a remarriage of a Great Aunt. She was always known as Anna N on all census and first marriage but remarriage shows her marrying as Nancy A. My Grandmother was Elizabeth but was always known as Connie, so it was not uncommon to use second names as and when the whim took people.

Janet

Comment

Thank you Janet yes Florence's Sister Alice Maud Mary Gilbert was known as Pol, it took a second cousin to tell me this as I thought Alice was one of the Sisters who emigrated as I couldn't find her. I knew of Pol though as my Dad talked about her often can't for the life of me how Alice Maud Mary got to be known as Pol?

Jill

Comment

Polly is a pet name for Mary.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you Uncle John her Mother was Elizabeth Alice but known as Alice so that maybe an explanation.

Jill

Comment

"I have a photo of their Mother on a postcard on which she has written on the back to my Gran asking if she received the books she sent as it would while away the time, her Sisters found it very helpful. So I am assuming three of them did emigrate. Unfortunately the photo is not addressed or dated"

Maybe you could put that on here or on to the Family Tree Photo Forum section..perhaps someone can ascertain a time frame for you..

Comment

Hi Naomiatt

Here is the photo of my Great Grandmother the timeframe would have to be 1911 to 1915 but I don't think a more accurate date than that could be derived from this photo. There is no studio name on the back just the words postcard.

Thank you for your help.

Regards
                                Jill

Comment

Hi - it's a great photo - have you put it on the Photo Forum to see if someone can give some further ideas..

Comment

Working...
                                  X