1881 census - salford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 census - salford

My 2 x gt grandfather, Charles Ede, married for the second time on August 13 1879 at St. Bartholomew's Church, Salford. However, I cannot find the family, including children from his first marriage on the 1881 census. I therefore decided to check out the address given for him on his marriage certificate, this being 47 West Park Road but according to the census there is no West Park Road although there is a West Park Street. On checking this I found that 47 is not listed, in fact the first odd number on the street is 121. Are there parts of the 1881 census missing?

By the 1891 census, Charles has passed away, his wife has remarried and his children have scattered to the four winds so there is no clue there.

Would appreciate any help or advice.

Irene

Can you give us the reference for the 1871 census - or some more information about the family in case they have been mistranscribed somewhere.
    Elaine

Comment

There is a Charles Ede and family at RG 10 4038 folios 10 and 11. I can't see them after 1871.

Cheers,

GJL

Comment

Charles Ede was born in Staffordshire but all the children from his first marriage were born in Manchester/Salford. Of these, those who would still have been at home in 1881 would be Phoebe 27, Charles 25, Reuben 22, William 19 and Alice 16. I know Phoebe was living at 29 Wellington Street, Gorton in 1882 but I have checked this address for 1881 and she was not there . Unfortunately, Charles' occupation on his (second) marriage certificate is given as 'traveller' which doesn't help. I have tried every variation of the name Ede I can think of but without success. Thanks for your interest.

Irene

Comment

I agree with GJL - had a look at the 1871 census. Here it says that Charles jnr was born in York, Yorkshire - Charles snr was certainly a traveller, carter in this census. I'll have a look and see if I can see anything in 1881.

Ayse

Comment

I think I may have found Charles Ede jnr in the 1881 census living in Stoke on Trent a haberdasher in partnership with Phillip Henry Wayle and wife RG11, 2727, 94 Page 1. Iin 1871 he was a shop boy.

Ayse

Comment

Did Charles Ede die in 1882 in Uttoxeter? I did find one Ede family in Uttoxeter in 1881.

Ayse

Comment

Found a William Ede in Stafford married to Sarah Poole, an iron mongers assistant. Stoke T Sept 1880, 6b, 309. Perhaps the older boys returned to Stoke? Not much luck really.

Ayse

Comment

Yes, Charles Ede did die in Uttoxeter in 1882 where he was born. The Edes living there at the time were his relations. William Ede married to Sarah Poole was Charles' nephew and unfortunately not his son. Seems I'm destined not to find them. Do you know if there is any part of West Park Street on the 1881 cenus for Salford missing? Thanks for your help so far.
                  Irene

Comment

Had another look at the 1871 census. It says here that Phoebe born in Staffordshire but BMD shows reg, in Manchester Dec 1853, 8d 168. Alice, I think was Mary Alice. There is one birth free bmd Manchester reg March 1865. There are a number of Alice's but none in either Staffordshire or Lancs. I think on balance the 1871 census is the same family as yours.
                    Found them in 1861 surname Eld although it is certainly Eed in this census. Charles now born Oldwood, Staffs. Wife Mary born Huddersfield, children Thomas 10, Charles 5, Reuben 2, Sarah 15 and Phoebe 7 all born Manchester. Living at 5 Water Street, Hill yard, parish of St Matthews, Manchester. RG9, 2940, 142, 12.
                    Can't find an Oldwood, Staffs but there is on in Worcestershire near Tenbury Wells. Charles says he was born 1820 on both 1871 and 1861 census. Also found them on 1851 with child Thomas I month
                    Still no luck with 1881

Ayse

Comment

You're right Findmy past no such house number. They also don't report any known errors for 1881 census

No good suggestions, sorry

Ayse

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I will keep on trying to find them in 1881.

Irene

Comment

Working...
                        X