X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookup Up PATESHALL Elizabeth

Hi

I have been trying to track back

PATESHALL Elizabeth baptised 12 November 1815 Kimbolton Hereford (found this on family search as well as family trees)

I have then her parents as William Pateshall and Elizabeth.......

I have then found two William Pateshall and Elizabeth marriages around the same era...

Logic would suggest that her parents would be William Pateshall and Elizabeth Pitt who were married 13 December 1814 in Kimbolton Hereford but there is also a marriage for William Pateshall and Elizabeth Cheese in St John the Baptist 25 August 1813 Hereford.

Is it possible to find any parish records which would give deatils of the Baptism with mothers names?

Cheran
    Last edited by cheran; 30-04-10, 02:36.
    Cheran

i guess you could look for wills for the william's, they might mention the wife's family, either in the inheritance or trustees of it. witnesses at the weddings may help too, maybe one is a brother or sister of the groom, thereby helping you pick which is the correct marriage?

Comment

Unfortunately this is the problem I have with several branches of my family. I can get back to a village in the 18C but then the names are all so similar and two people with the same names marrying are very difficult, if not impossible, to separate. Many parish records (even when looking at the originals plus the Bishop's Transcripts) are just not detailed enough to make a decision.

As Kyle says, investigating the wider family for wills, witnesses etc is the most likely way of making progress. BUT the fact remains that you may never find the right information - it just may not be there :(. [LOL, Kyle knows this well because I tried to find the information about part of his family in the Carlisle Archives - masses of information gathered but, sadly, no result]

One way you could go is to investigate BOTH the couples and say "My family is descended from one of these two couples". Not really very satisfactory, although you might find they are related to each other anyway!

Anne

Edit to say - its definitely ALWAYS worth looking at the original records. Every parish varied as to how detailed the records were. Some are great with extra information added, seemingly just because the person who kept the records cared about them. Others are terrible - badly written with the minimum of detail and, I often suspect, not every event actually recorded!
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 30-04-10, 09:50.

Comment

As already suggested, look at the Baptismal Register for Kimbolton. You can do this by visiting the Conuty Record Office or by ordering a film of the PR from your nearest Family History Centre (LDS Church). You could then search the whole film for around 20 years either side of 1815 and make a note of all the children born with parents William and Elizabeth Pateshall. Many registers for this period will show the Father's occupation. If you make a note of everything, sometimes logic comes into play and you can seperate the children into the two families. For example, one of the couples may have had a child who was Baptised within a few months of "your" Elizabeth and this would indicate that that child belonged to the other couple. This may sound long winded but I have solved a number of similar problems in this way.

I have looked up the film catalogue for you but the Parish Register for Kimbolton does not have enough of the period you need. However, a film of the BTs has a lot more. That is the film I would order. Here are the details:

Title Bishop's transcripts for Kimbolton, 1660-1860 Authors Church of England. Parish Church of Kimbolton (Herefordshire) (Main Author)
        Note Location
        Film
        Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1660-1693, 1695-1833, 1836-1837; baptisms, burials, 1838-1840; baptisms, marriages, burials, 1841-1853; baptisms, burials, 1856-1860. FHL BRITISH Film
        992213 Items 3 - 4
        Last edited by Elderflower; 30-04-10, 11:42. Reason: Added more info

Comment

anne and pat are right. btw anne, i havnt forgotten about your request!
          sometimes there is simply "elizabeth daughter of william ch.01/01/1800" in the register. and sometimes it gives abode, mothers name, birth date, and fathers occupation. ive also seen info that states the mother was of the parish, but the father was from somewhere else, and in some cases, what number child they had just christened! all this isnt on the igi, and sometimes transcripts.
          and most of the time, you will have to work sideways to go back. trace the other siblings of your plausible families. look for any wills, land transactions, apprenticeship papers you can get your hands on, it may not work, but it gives you some ideas to go further.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the advice. It may be a little difficult to do the option of going to the County records office from Australia and fairly difficult to for me to work going to the LDS family history centres at the moment but thanks so much for everyone's imput. I am glad I am not the only one who has family where the names and dates are of so similar.
            Cheran

Comment

Working...
            X