Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth in Nottinghamshire: James Copestick Harpur (father James)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth in Nottinghamshire: James Copestick Harpur (father James)

I am trying to find the birth of my ancestor James Copestick (Copesticke/Copestake) Harpur.
    These are the facts that I have:
    Birth Doncaster county of York: 28-04-1869 Henry Poles Copestake Harpur, boy, father James Copestake
    Harpur, Commercial traveller, mother Elizabeth Harpur, formerly Poles.
    Baptism Parish Brampton Bierlow
    of county Yorkshire: 21-06-1869 Henry Poles Copestake Harpur, father James Copestake Harpur & Elizabeth
    (Poles).
    Marriage in the Parish of Wath upon Deurne in the county of York 14-12-1865 James Copestick
    Harpur, age 31 Commercial Traveller, father James Harpur, Wheelwrigth & Elizabeth Poles, age 22 Wath
    West Melton, father Henry Poles, Farmer.
    Death of James Copestake Harpur 14-06-1878 Doncaster county of York, male 45 years Uitral diseas of the
    heart anasarca.
    In the census I have 1881; It sais that Elizabeth C Harpur is a widow of 39 and with her are
    Mariana C Harpur 14 and Foster C Harpur 4 (Henry Poles Copestake Harpur was at Commercial School in the village of PinnerP.
    So according tot the marriage certificate of James Copestick Harpur, he was born around 1834. According to
    his death certificae he was born abuot 1833. And according to the 1881 census he was dead. His son Foster
    being 4 gives us that he indeed died in the year 1878.
    There is a 1871 census that gives the birthplace of James Copestick Harpur: Nottinghamshire (Commercial
    Traveller born Nottingheamshire).
    Can anyone help me find him and his parents? I reside in The Netherlands and any help is greatly
    appreciated.

Can't find anything on my Nottingham CDs, but the IGI has a James Copestick baptism.

James Copestick
    Birth: 23 JAN 1835
    Christening: 24 FEB 1835 Saint Alkmund King Street-Wesleyan Methodist, Derby, Derby, England

Father James Copestick
    Mother Mary Harpur

Could this perhaps be him?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hello, I did indeed find both a James Copestick and Mary Harpur. I have the same question! I looked and found
      out that this James Copestick was a wheelwrite too. This James and Mary got married 30-12-1833 Werburgh Derby.
      James baptised 11-10-1805 St. Werburgh Derby Mary baptised most likely 05-07-1812.
      The parents of James were James Copestake and Mary Thomson from Werburgh Derby and the parents of
      Mary were Joseph/James Harpur and Hannah ...

So I need to find out if James Copestick Harpur is their child and he indeed had both his parents names.
      Little puzzle is why he was named that way and not just James Copestick. On his marriagecertificate to
      Elizabeth Poles it sais that his father was James Harpur a Wheelwrite. Please see the documentation on
      my site at the numbers 5/10/20/40: http://www.de-paula-lopes.nl/01c2c49...f03/index.html.

Hope you can help.

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
      Can't find anything on my Nottingham CDs, but the IGI has a James Copestick baptism.

James Copestick
      Birth: 23 JAN 1835
      Christening: 24 FEB 1835 Saint Alkmund King Street-Wesleyan Methodist, Derby, Derby, England

Father James Copestick
      Mother Mary Harpur

Could this perhaps be him?
      Last edited by Guest; 30-04-10, 21:15.

Comment

Hello everyone! I was able to get the Will of Joseph Harpur. In it he mentions his two daughters Mary Camp (widow of James Copestick) and Sarak Edwards. I was contacted by a lady in Utah USA. She send me a letter made by a historian. In it it sais thatJoseph Harpur was indeed a brickmaker of Rowditch. He was mentioned in a Journal of his brother Thomas. Further proof is that he was a Wesleyan Methodist, just like James Copestick Harpur was baptised. The letter states that Joseph Harpur was son of Thomas Harpur of littleover b. 1751 and Sarah Walker. Thomas was son of Henry Harpur who settled ini Littleover (freehold and farmer) b. 1699 married Elizabeth Wagg. Henry was son of Henry, settled on a local family estate at Wensley and married Catherine Barbour of Tamworth. Henry was son of William Harpur of Bilston, who married Alice Coke. Williams father was Sir Henry Harpur who became a baroner in 1626. From here the line goes up to 1086!
        Soooooo.... There must be local historians, family archieves or researchers who must know more and who can see if my data is correct and that I indeed am related to the Harpur family of Derbyshire. What I need is someone who can help me put all the puzzle pieces that we have talked about together. Is anyone out there who can help (as I reside in The Netherlands).

Comment

I can't help much but the Harpurs resided at Calke Abbey in Derbyshire so you might be able to find something on their website or e-mail them.
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

have a look here: there is a bit of history,

and there is this one too, gives sources which include some books that might help

Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-07-10, 13:18.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by de Paula Lopes View Post
              Hello, I did indeed find both a James Copestick and Mary Harpur. I have the same question! I looked and found
              out that this James Copestick was a wheelwrite too. This James and Mary got married 30-12-1833 Werburgh Derby.
              James baptised 11-10-1805 St. Werburgh Derby Mary baptised most likely 05-07-1812.
              The parents of James were James Copestake and Mary Thomson from Werburgh Derby and the parents of
              Mary were Joseph/James Harpur and Hannah ...

So I need to find out if James Copestick Harpur is their child and he indeed had both his parents names.
              Little puzzle is why he was named that way and not just James Copestick. On his marriagecertificate to
              Elizabeth Poles it sais that his father was James Harpur a Wheelwrite. Please see the documentation on
              my site at the numbers 5/10/20/40: http://www.de-paula-lopes.nl/01c2c49...f03/index.html.

Hope you can help.
              My reading of that baptism entry is that James Copestick were the 2 christian names by which the baby was christened, and that his parents at that stage at least, were not married. He therefore could later be known as just James Copestick, or as James Copestick Harpur if he took his mother's surname. The way to check this would be to look at other baptism entries for that church and see if the children were listed just by christian name.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Re-reading my book about Calke Abbey, published in 1985 soon after the National Trust acquired the house, these names don't seem to be in the direct line. Sir Henry Harpur (died 1819) changed his name to Crewe in the hope of resurrecting the defunct barony of Crewe. Later generations were named Harpur Crewe.

They were all exceedingly eccentric in various ways, which is why the house was such an unspoiled treasure-trove when the National Trust took it on.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you all.
                  JudithM, On the baptism as a Wesleyan Methodist, James Copestick's father was already deceased. So it could be that it is the reason why he also took his mother's name.

Comment

Uncle John, You are talking about Henry Crewe, 7th Bart. I am talking about his lineage up to our mutual ancestors: Sir Henry Crewe (Bart. 7) - Sir Henry Harpur (Bart. 6) - Sir Henry Harpur (Bart. 5) - Sir John Harpur Bart 4) - Sir John Harpur (Bart. 3) - Sir John Harpur (Bart. 2) - Sir Henry Harpur (first Bart.)
                    The first Bart had three sons and three daughters, one was Sir John (Bart. 2) and one of the others was my ancestor William Harpur Esq. of Bilton as mentioned in my earlier message. So I am trying to find his decendants / family history to prove that I am right.

Comment

Had somebody researching the Harpurs on another site, None of the documents from the family are at Calke, the person who was enqiring was from the national trust, so they must be clueless.

if there will be any documents they will be here

The entire Harpur-Crewe collection – 510 boxes, 52 volumes, 60 rolls and 18 outsize folders – has been assessed for preventative and remedial conservation and is stored in secure, humidity and temperature-controlled conditions at Derbyshire County Council’s Record Office. Original documents can be produced for research purposes.

mm

Comment

Thank you so much for this, I have made a note.

Comment

Working...
                        X