Evans=Nottingham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evans=Nottingham?

I have had a recent contact from a member of my husbands tree who lives in N.Z.
    He has sent me some photos which he believes belong to Mary Ann Nottingham née Evans. He has another photo of a soldier in the 1st WW which has Mr. Nottingham Louis nephew on the back.
    Mary Ann is the sister of my husbands gt. grandmother. She was born in 1858 in Herefordshire. She appears on the 1861 census :
    Mary A EvansAge:3Estimated birth year:abt 1858Relation daughterFather's Name:WilliamMother's Name:AnnGender femaleWhere born:Eardisland, Herefordshire, EnglandCivil parish:Richards CastleEcclesiastical parish:HerefordHerefordshire

However, I cannot find her again on either a census, there are too many Mary A Evans, or a marriage to a Nottingham of or a census as a Nottingham.
    The only Louis Nottingham I can find was born in Yorkshire to different parents. There is a Louis Nottingham on some military records but no mention of kin.
    Any thoughts on the above?
    The photo shows her with 2 girls and 2 boys and it is taken in Ludlow.
    Many thanks.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

With the writing on the back, when I first read your transcription I thought it meant Mr Nottingham, Louis' nephew i.e. the nephew of Louis. If you have the WW1 soldier photo, you could try to identify what regiment he was in to narrow it down.

If the soldier is the man married to Mary Ann Evans, I would have thought (assuming he is a similar age to her) that he would be too old to serve in WW1. He could be her son though. Perhaps, if you can, it would help to post up the images.
    Jackie

Comment

I have been trying to upload the photos but whilst they are in my documents they do not appear when I click on the attach image box on here.
      Regarding the photo of Louis. I have not seen this but was told by the contact that it said, Mr Nottingham Louis nephew on the back. The thought is that he is Mary Ann's son.
      I am going to log out and then in again to see if the photo appears.
      The Louis that I found on ancestry had the number 25077 and his regiment was Liverpool but this could be the chap born in Yorkshire.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I think the photos are too big but do not know how to reduce them. I used to be able to do this but comp has changed so will wait till husband comes home.
        Many thanks for interest.
        Searching for:

Comment

Photobucket comes to mind but it's some time since I've used it.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Have just received another e-mail from NZ. It now turns out that it said Mr Nottingham, nephew of Lewis Evans.
            You were correct Night owl. So the hours I spent today searching for Louis Nottingham were in vain!!
            This is the problem with not being able to phone people and get the story straight.
            Have managed to add photo but it is rather small!!
            polly_with_children small.jpg
            Searching for:

Comment

Working...
            X