Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed "Smith"

Hi,

I have posted a help request with this before, but I was hoping someone may be able to give me some new advice that would help with my Research.

I would love to trace my 3x Great Grandfather, George Smith further back but I am really struggling.

I only have a little information about george which makes tracing him very hard!

Here is the info I all ready have:

George Smith married my 3x Great Grandmother Emma Stevens 1917 Nottingham registry office.

George's details from marriage cert is: 45 years, Widdower, coal miner father: John Smith General labourer deceased.

The witnesses were a Arthur Goulding and Florence Shaw. I have tried to see if the witnesses were related but I can't find any connection.

I did find a Florence Smith married a Joseph Shaw, but she had different father and no brother called George.

The only info I know is that George had 2 children with his first wife: John George and Walter Smith but I do not know how old they were.

I have had a look on the 1881 census but there are lots of George Smith's born c1872 with a father John.

Because i don't know where George was born would it still be possible to trace George back?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Kelly.

P.S Here is the link to my previous thread about George Smith:

Hi Kelly...do you know where John George and Walter were born ?....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi Allan,

Unfortunately, I don't know where they were born.

With them having common names it is difficult to find any information.

Kelly.

Comment

have you looked in the 1891 and 1901 census for
        George Smith head
        his wife
        John George Smith
        Walter Smith
        if George was 45 in 1917 marriage (what month did they marry ?) this makes him born either 1871 or 1872...presuming his first marriage was when he was abt 21 , we would probably find him with his sons in the 1901 census aged 28/29 ?...nottingham would be the first place to look logically....allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Hi Kelly
          What was the address for George on the marriage cert?
          Moggie

Comment

Hi Allan,

George and Emma married December 1917.

I will just check my written notes, but i think i may have tried the 1901 and couldn't find a george smith with a John george and a Walter.

I will go and check my notes and have another look.

Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
              Hi Kelly
              Moggie
              good thinking Moggie...chances are he would have been at that address for a while....the war years and all....allan

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                Hi Kelly
                Moggie
                Hi Maudarby,

George gives his address as 7 mitre terrace commercial street and Emma 6 commercial street nottingham.

Emma lived at 7 mitre terrace commercial street with her first husband.

Kelly.
                Last edited by Kelly; 26-04-10, 11:54.

Comment

have you tried looking for George in the 1911 1901 census for George / wife /John George /Walter at
                  7 Mitre Terrace
                  Commercial St
                  Nottingham
                  ? worth a try....allan

Comment

Hi allan,

I have tried the 1911 for Mitre Terrace and for commercial street and there isn't any George Smith's.

7 Mitre Terrace was where Emma Lived with her first husband.

Kelly.

Comment

Could Florence Shaw have been a cousin rather than a sister?

I had a similar situation which I solved when a marriage witness turned out to be a cousin...although with a name like Smith it's always going to be an uphill struggle.

Comment

Hi Lindsay,

It is certainly a possibility.

I have been tracing the Florence Shaw Nee Smith, born 1878 Hickilng Nottingham, through the census records.

Her father was Joseph Smith born 1851 Hickling Notts and Joseph's father was a John Smith born 1810 Hickling Notts. I was hoping that John may have had a son named John, but no luck so far!

Kelly.

Comment

On the 1901 census Florence Shaw and her family are living at 68 Gregory Street Lenton.

My George Smith lived at Mitre Terrace Commercial Street Lenton, so it could be that Florence is related to George. Or it could just be a coincident!

Comment

Working...
                          X