Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning

To get the certificates and check you're following the right path.

I know I know I should know better.

Got a certificate today which completely knocked my research for six.

The time, effort and money used to research the wrong line - I thought I knew but I was wrong.

At least I now have a place to search in Ireland for one of my twigs. Unfortunately I don't have her maiden name - so yet another certificate.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Oh dear - sorry to hear that.

I didn't always get the certs straight away, BUT I did always have baptism & burial details from PR and also marriages, supplemented by the GRO index.
    And I was dealing with relatively uncommon surnames in small villages or rural towns.

Would never have used my approach for research in cities or large towns.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I almost did something similar - took a baptism to be "mine" but suddenly discovered a death for that child in the non-conformist records. Which made me rethink the whole branch - my lot were NOT non-conformists, married at the Cathedrail, but where did the one who married in 1823 come from ?? A lot more work to be done now

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

It can also work the other way round. The details on the marriage cert of one of my relatives turned out to be fictitious, sending us off on various wild goose chases. Eventually when the 1911 census arrived, the presence of certain other people in the household pointed the way to the truth.

Comment

Well I have been obtaining baptismal certificates which has been great for RC people - even got mothers christian names on marriage entries for one church.

Yes I got church records of marriage and baptismals etc as well as for siblings too - pity it was wrong family.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
          X