Brit-Gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brit-Gen

I can't get on to brit -gen. Is any one having the same problem?
    Thanks
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Yes Jeanie I've had trouble all day.
    I thought it was my computer so I'm glad you have opened this thread.

June

Comment

Working OK for me a minute ago.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I tried the link I usually use and it did not work so I tried www.british-Geneology.com and get a page telling me that someone has registered the domain name.
        Will try the link on my message to see if it works.
        Many thanks for response.
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Not the page that I usually get!!
          Searching for:

Comment

I got exactly the same Jeannie. I usually use firefox and it says Error 404. Tried Safari and got the message that someone has registered the domain name.

June

Comment

There was a problem yesterday but it has been corrected.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I still can't get on Guy

June

Comment

No still cant get on today either.
                  regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                  for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

This link is working: http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Not for me, still showing a 404 error - that's with Firefox.

Comment

Exactly the same with me Blackberry.

Comment

I tried using Int Exp, and got them ok, and on the forum someone has posted with same problems, and he has sent a fix to make it work, but I am not an expert like that, you should see what you have to do, so they do have a problem all over the place,will have to wait till its fixed.
                          regards Patti

Comment

There is a post on Brit Gen which explains that the site has moved location. Hopefully they wont mind that I have copied it over here for those that are having trouble logging in.

For the technically minded you might like to try the following - for the non technically minded .... stay with FTF!! ;)

Posted by Hugh Thompson on www.british-genealogy.com

Basically, the Brit-Gen website has moved to a new home from what I can see, which means its address has changed.

It takes time for a change of address to propogate around the world, which explains why it works for some people, and not for others. The problem should all go away in the next couple of days, as the new address finishes its trip around the internet.

For those who are adventurous (or technically-minded) enough, here is what you can do to temporarily fix the problem in the meantime...

If you open a command-prompt (go to Start Menu -> Run, then type "cmd" and press Enter), then type the following command & press Enter:

ping www.british-genealogy.com

You will get one of two addresses in response:

82.165.104.65 or

If you get the "82" address instead of the "91" address, your computer is still pointing to the old address, and you won't be able to see the website.

There is a system file you can edit, to temporarily fix this problem until the internet sorts itself out...

Go to "Start Menu -> Run" and type:

notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This will open up a file, the last line of which should read:

127.0.0.1 localhost

UNDERNEATH that line (ie: right at the very end of the file) type in the following:

91.215.180.170 www.british-genealogy.com

Basically, this forces the computer into going to the correct address when looking for the Brit-Gen website.

Save this file, exit Notepad, then go back to your web browser, try again, and viola!

Of course, this temporary fix should be removed at some stage, once everything has settled down again (say, a week from now). To do that, just re-run the "notepad" command above, delete the "www.british-genealogy.com" line, and re-save the file.

If you don't feel comfortable with editing system files, then I would recommend you just wait it out, and the site should be back within a day or two anyway.

hope this helps some of you. Apologies for the over-technical nature of this post, but there isn't any easy way to explain the issue without using some technical terms :-)
                            Elaine

Comment

Yes its very complicated isnt it, I will forget it now and stay here.
                              regards Patti

Comment

BTW - I am using Firefox too. Just a matter of waiting, as it says in what Elaine posted.
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I use Firefox and I have been able to get on Brit Gen yesterday and today. Don't think it has anything to do with your browser.
                                  Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by Patti View Post
                                    I will forget it now and stay here.
                                    Good choice! ;)
                                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

We won't panic anymore. Stay with FTF

Comment

FTF is a much nicer place.
                                        Wendy

Comment

Working...
                                        X